Trith and Racial Purity

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Trith and Racial Purity

#16 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:46 am
Grummel7 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:26 pm Btw. when I look at the Trith description, there is an explanation for why the found other species disturbing, which refers to their telepathy. Perhaps we should change the explanation of that penalty as well, saying it applies to xenophobic & telepathic species. It'll still only be Trith of course.
It is only happening to Trith specific kind of telepathy. And it is the reason they are xenophobic. There could be other xenophobic telepaths which do not suffer.

So the label could be something "Unfiltered Thinkers nearby", "Other Species Brainwaves" or similar. But no automatism/reference to xenophobic & telepathic combination.
Telepathic Hypersensitivity?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by wobbly »

So I have Trith in the multiplayer. Their start is very strong, they struggle to find planets but the 1 large radiated I can see would fit 27 Trith with just sub-hab as booster.

I'd say Trith themselves are fine as is. What needs fixing is: terraforming balance and making tall empires work.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by wobbly »

Played Trith with this commit in:

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... cbed3b6912

They seem better. I think the last thing they need to restore them to strength is their home planet to be restored to large. Opinions?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 am I think the last thing they need to restore them to strength is their home planet to be restored to large. Opinions?
I haven't playtested. I trust your opinion. Worst case scenario is they become a bit OP in single player, not a problem.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#20 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:52 am I think the last thing they need to restore them to strength is their home planet to be restored to large. Opinions?
not sure about complete balance, but smaller home planet is a good thing/makes balancing easier as it nerfs the start.

self-sustaining is something the other species slowly catch up to by acquiring growth specials, so the difference is biggest when starting.

As far as I am aware off the reasoning for that did not change through influence i think.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by wobbly »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:12 pm
not sure about complete balance, but smaller home planet is a good thing/makes balancing easier as it nerfs the start.

self-sustaining is something the other species slowly catch up to by acquiring growth specials, so the difference is biggest when starting.

As far as I am aware off the reasoning for that did not change through influence i think.
Yeah I'm unsure too, so I guess that means leaving them as they are for now.

Regarding balance at the start, there is an argument that having a slightly stronger start balances out with running into to problems when they hit the early-middle game, but its hard to know for sure without a bunch of playtesting. They are very prone to luck in starting position. A medium radiated planet near them gives higher pop then medium good on other races, but an inferno near natives gives a lower pop then adequate on other races.

With medium natives their medium planet averages 22.5 pop as opposed to a 20 pop human planet. But this small lead is halved as soon as you reach subhab and vanishes when you reach symbiotic biology.