Stealthed Planets and Combat

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Stealthed Planets and Combat

#1 Post by wobbly »

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/4149

A stealthed planet can not be seen if its stealth is higher then the enemies detection. However if combat is triggered by other ships in the system it is an eligible target on round 1. This is inconsistent with how stealth ships work.
geoffthemedio wrote: planets are not ships... the fluff descriptions generally relate to hiding the stuff on the planet rather than the location of the planet entirely. how this should work is up for debate and adjustment, though.
So my preference here would be consistent rules for both planets and ships, as much out of simplicity as any other reason.

Opinions?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Stealthed Planets and Combat

#2 Post by LienRag »

Well, a planet is usually bigger than a ship, so I get your "simplicity" argument but don't consider this a priority.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

Answering to that quote of Geoff:

Then the problem is defense and ofense structures of the planet should remain hidden until they attack, the enemies should not be able to target them.

In any case, those fluff-descriptions are nonsensical when it comes to colonization/invasion: so I see the planet but I cannot colonize it because I can't find the right spot to land? Nuts. The fluff here is "you know there is a planet somewhere in this system but you can't locate it with your ships".

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

It not about the size:

Situation 1: Daybreak moves a combat ship into system. Can not see planet. No combat occurs. Planet is not targeted.

Situation 2: Daybreak has a combat ship in system. There's an ion storm. Planet can't see daybreak. Daybreak can't see Planet. Wild kraken and o01eg ship move into system. wild kraken sees o01eg ship triggering combat. Daybreak's ship fires at planet on turn 1 (even though it can't see it). Planet doesn't fire at daybreak ships on round 1 (as ship is only revealed by weapons fire).

Very little in situation 2 makes logical sense.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

currently you cant directly initiate combat/attack a hidden planet (or in other fluff the hidden defenses of a planet).

so i think it should not be targetable in the first bout (until it reveals itself/its defenses)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:46 pm Very little in situation 2 makes logical sense.
all the monsters and neutrals exchange military information. of course! like they would do in real life :D
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!