Planet Orion

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Realism

#31 Post by Geoff the Medio »

guiguibaah wrote:...we won't have unrealistic happy suns who sing
I dunno... a "Sentient Star" special might be interesting...

Magus
Space Squid

#32 Post by Magus »

An idea came to me on what we could do for an Orion type system. It does disrupt the vague backstory that Aquitane put up, but I figure that can be changed.

It's Sol. Sol is the heart of the Ancient Empire, its Throneworld orbiting 92 million kilometers away.

Humans can still be a playable race, they are descended from exiles, perhaps generation ships or worlds trapped in Ancient stasis fields, whatever backstory you want. This also allows Humans to have a racial advantage other than diplomacy: we understand Ancient technology better. After all, we built it.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#33 Post by marhawkman »

hmm... a planet with the remnants of what was once a powerful interstellar empire? Meh. It's an old idea.... I'd rather go with making it a universe that DOESN'T have the standard "ancient war" history.... A universe where the races are all young races working towards making that history happen.
Computer programming is fun.

Magus
Space Squid

#34 Post by Magus »

Well, I assumed an 'Orion' world was a necessary bit of the game, given that I thought it would be an interesting twist to have it be Earth.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#35 Post by utilae »

Wasn't that idea used for Moo3? Ie the humans are the descendants of the Orions or something. It's a bad idea either way.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#36 Post by Daveybaby »

I agree that having Sol as 'Orion' would be a bad idea. Why should humans get special treatment?

How about we have something like the precursors/progenitors (from star control / david brin's uplift books) - an ancient race responsible for bringing all other races to sentience. Finding their ancient homeworld (and defeating its guardian) would provide access to lots of lovely advanced tech (okay, so thats just like orion again :roll:).

This would tie in well with having an uplift system in the game (discussed here).
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Magus
Space Squid

#37 Post by Magus »

Humans get special treatment for the same reason that the Orions get special treatment: Why not? Humanity 12,000 odd years in the future is just as unknowable as any alien race, and a post-human universe is something that hasn't been done before as far as I know...

Edit: In MoO 3, Humanity was engineered by the Orions. In that case, humanity didn't get special treatment, as every race was engineered by either the Orions or Antarans.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#38 Post by marhawkman »

Magus wrote:Edit: In MoO 3, Humanity was engineered by the Orions. In that case, humanity didn't get special treatment, as every race was engineered by either the Orions or Antarans.
Not true. Their were two other species at play here. The "polarids" and some other race both of which you never see ingame. (they're mentioned in the story sections of the manual) Apparently they created Humans and another humanoid race. The Orions may have changed humans slightly(or not I really don't know) but they didn't create them.
Computer programming is fun.