planet balancing

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Airshipjones
Space Floater

Hmmm,

#31 Post by Airshipjones »

Maybe I just need to try running a few more games. But in the 5-10 games I have set-up/played with on the latest version, I have seen a lot of systems with 2 Terran planets (sometimes with one near the inner track and one near the outer track). I have also seen quite a few system with 3+ planets that are terran/ocean/desert or some combination of habitable planets. This seems like an aweful lot of habitable planets compared to, say, MOOII.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There only uninhabitable planet types are Gas Giant and Asteroids. All others are habitable. I expect this will eventually change (see here, but for now, that you found lots of habitable planets isn't surprising.

But in a larger sense, nothing has been balanced yet. It's just not a priority to have a nicely balanced universe generator at this point, as opposed to other more basic game functionality that needs to get designed and coded.

However, if this irks you particularly, as tzlaine said, patches are welcome. Both alterations to planet_tables.txt as marhawkman has done (see mods on wiki) or alterations to the galaxy generation code. Fixing things, or specific suggetions on how to improve them, are more helpful then just pointing out what isn't working well.

Airshipjones
Space Floater

Thanks, I will play around with it

#33 Post by Airshipjones »

I wasn't sure how far this had been taken. I will be glad to twiddle with it and see if I can get something that seems right and share it for input.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

Re: Thanks, I will play around with it

#34 Post by marhawkman »

Airshipjones wrote:I wasn't sure how far this had been taken. I will be glad to twiddle with it and see if I can get something that seems right and share it for input.
first you should look at what I did on this.
Computer programming is fun.

Airshipjones
Space Floater

Thanks, I did

#35 Post by Airshipjones »

It is a definite improvement. Though I did still generate (on the first try tonight, haven't tried any more yet) several systems with 2+ terran planets.

I guess I am expecting something more like MOOII, with more Barren planets. Does that seem unrealistic/unreasonable? I don't know if makes that much difference, depending on how big the difference is between the planets types in terms of productivity, farming, population growth, etc.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

Re: Thanks, I did

#36 Post by marhawkman »

Airshipjones wrote:It is a definite improvement. Though I did still generate (on the first try tonight, haven't tried any more yet) several systems with 2+ terran planets.

I guess I am expecting something more like MOOII, with more Barren planets. Does that seem unrealistic/unreasonable? I don't know if makes that much difference, depending on how big the difference is between the planets types in terms of productivity, farming, population growth, etc.
The difference is this game is intended to have the homeworld type as a variable. Thus Terran will (eventually) NOT be optimal for every race.
Computer programming is fun.