Design your ship appearance

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Design your ship appearance

#1 Post by utilae » Tue May 16, 2006 2:05 am

Having recently seen some video footage of the new game Spore, I am inspired how in that game you can design your own creature very easily by shaping the torso and adding various parts such as legs, eyes, noses and claws.

If we could design ships in this way, then players can have there own style recognised by the appearance of the ships they create.

[If you haven't heard of spore, Google it. It's a new game by the creator of the Sims. You start as a one celled organism, then eventually play a 4X space game.]

Odi
Space Floater

#2 Post by Odi » Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 pm

lol, interesting game... looks really impressive, the only thing that bothers me is that it's an EA game (I really feel sorry for the staff :P) - but let's see what finally comes up (just look at MoO3 via the ingame-editor: all the screens and stuff that got cut last-minute... it's still in there... somewhere... *runs amok*) :)

The (ship/)creature editor would definetely be a nice thing to have, but I doubt we'll ever see this in FO, maybe in 1.5 :wink:

oh, and yes, I'm still alive and around, but study (and the life as a student, hehe 8)) has been alarming busy [and ultima orion for moo3 is, thanks to bhruic and gerra, quite time consuming again]
zaba zaba zud zud

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio » Tue May 16, 2006 8:56 pm

For designing ships, take a look at Galactic Civilizations 2, which has a cutsom ship modelling function that lets people do a bunch of crazy / interesting stuff. I can't find a good gallery to link, but check some forums perhaps.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae » Wed May 17, 2006 4:24 am

Hmmm that game allows quite complex ship creation.

I found a link that is loaded with custom ships (graphics heavy):
http://forums.galciv2.com/index.aspx?Fo ... AID=104951

And here's a link to SPORE. Watch Robin Williams make a creature in the game, he's funny.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 19&q=Spore

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#5 Post by marhawkman » Wed May 17, 2006 12:23 pm

Isn't Robin Williams always funny?

Anyways....It's a nice idea but I dunno if we could use it. More detailed ships= less ships
Computer programming is fun.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#6 Post by Daveybaby » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:03 pm

marhawkman wrote:Isn't Robin Williams always funny?
No, he's not. Have you <i>seen</i> any of his recent films?
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.