minor/magnate civs?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

snakechia
Space Floater

minor/magnate civs?

#1 Post by snakechia »

are there plans currently for minor/magnate civs which are unplayable by human players? I think we should be able to play any civ in the game.

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#2 Post by Nightfish »

I think minor races that can't be controlled by humans are a good idea but I doubt we'll decide this before we add the normal races which are among the last things we'll add. So, there'll probably be no decision about that this year.

snakechia
Space Floater

#4 Post by snakechia »

well, it's like in medieval total war, there are a couple civs you cannot control, and I wonder why...I want to be able to play as anyone in the game. It doesn't make sense to me that I can't.

And like in Moo3 where you have some of the old races, but you can't play as them...why bother puting them in the game if I can't control them...even if they start out with huge penalties and have no chance of winning, I want the opportunity to lose as them.

Also in Moo3, one of the first things people wanted to do was to control the New Orions, but you can't.

Nightfish

#6 Post by Nightfish »

What does this have to do with magnate civs?

Nightfish

#8 Post by Nightfish »

Reread what Snakechia said. He wanted to be able to play *any* race in the game. He does *not* want features that can't be controlled. (or if he does, it's not obvious in his posts)

OceanMachine
Pupating Mass

#10 Post by OceanMachine »

Okarena wrote: But it should be very rare and occurs with P = .005 in the early phases of the game. And it should be a problem without any chance of solution. It may results in suffering and death. Hopeless.

<snip>

Perhaps that increase some frustration.
LOL, yeah, I'd say that would increase some frustration :lol: <scratches head and wanders off, confused>
Programming Lead

Nightfish

#12 Post by Nightfish »

I fail to see why a feature like: "no matter what you do you'll lose every 200th game" will help. Also for those of us who use windows we can just use normal crashes to simulate that.

Nightfish

#14 Post by Nightfish »

There will always be mistakes to make. Do I build ships or do I continue improving my colonies? Do I research weapon techs or something more civil? So long as the player can make choices there'll be mistakes to make. We don't need to give pseudo-options like a modifcation making a weapon 4 times larger while cutting power in half. We simply don't need to clutter our screen with stuff like that.