AI high level strategy creator

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

AI high level strategy creator

#1 Post by General_Zaber »

I was thinking about High Level Strategies being implemented in FO. Thankfully I found the Design thread before I posted pointless topics on the subject.

However there is one thing I think wasn't mentioned (Please do correct me if I am wrong)
I think it would be very useful if you could switch on a special observer feature (Checkbox either in Options or the SitRep) which observes the way you run your empire and creates an AI strategist which can be activated during the game.

The main use for this would be in particularly long Multiplayer games over the internet in which case some players wouldn't always be online. Using this feature a player could select which AI they will put in charge of their Empire while that player isn't playing. That way the player can still be involved while they're away.
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: AI high level strategy creator

#2 Post by eleazar »

I doubt anyone would complain if we had an AI routine so sophisticated that it could mimic the strategy of a human player. But that sort of thing is, i believe, a huge amount of work— on the scale that it could make the whole project take noticeably longer.

So yes, that would be cool, but it's not the sort of thing to count on.

m_k
Space Floater

#3 Post by m_k »

An AI which completely mimics your playing completely should be nearly impossible, even an AI just reading your general style of playing is bound to be some hard work, which could take a long time. But there is simply no necessity. If we let an AI take over for the player, it shouldn't be that much work to include dialog where certain parameters of the AI could be changed, some gradually, for example how many resources should be spent on defense, expansion, and so on, others more in the form of directives, such as "only attack when attacked", or "don't sign treaties". After all, if anyone knows your way of playing best it will be yourself.

Flatline
Space Squid

#4 Post by Flatline »

I think the question is: do we really need an AI-babysitter for a player who decides to take a shower in the middle of a game? I mean, when I start playing I either decide to reach the end of it (because I like it) or to drop it to never reenter (because I didn't like it, or because I had something else to do). An AI such this is a HUGE amount of work (probably nearly impossible), for a little or no advantage...
The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage.
- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo [email protected] with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

#5 Post by General_Zaber »

My idea wouldn't be too hard to implement and it wouldn't exactly "mimc" a player's actions per se. Rather it would be much like setting up an AI using parameters for certain policies. The difference would be that the parameters would be entered automatically based on your actions over the past few turns in order to get as close to 'mimicing' you as possible. I never really thought of a proper 'copy cat' AI because I know that would take forever to figure out.

In the case of gaps where you hadn't encountered a certain situation the parameter would be set either at a default for your race's expected attitude, the slider would be set to a 'neutral' area at the center or you would have to add the parameter manually.

As for why this system would be needed in the first place I generally consider the possibility that a MP game might have to be saved by the host and resumed at a later time. I just think this feature could be used to auto-create an AI to run a player's empire if they are not present when the game resumes. Alternatively, if FO turns out to have a certain unavoiable level of micromanagement (highly unlikely) the AI could be put in charge of a particular task such as being put in charge of a particular military front agains a certain enemy empire while the player concentrates on a more important situation.
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit