Artifical Planet/Doom(death) star blueprint/plans

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

Artifical Planet/Doom(death) star blueprint/plans

#1 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Artificial Planet/Death(doom star) proposal.

I was bored, so i wrote up a semi plausable Deathstar (the one from starwars used linar decks, which would be totally unpheasable, so i came up with this....

The problems of such a large ship would be its own gravity. this gravity could be used in place of artificial gravity.

also, it would be quite hard to prevent the ship from imploding, so by the clever usage

of braces and high strengh alloys (see diagram) could be used to allow for large, sphere shaped decks, loads of space still, and no need for Gravity generators (more power for weapons etc etc) the ship design is made up of 6 main parts:

1. Outer Hull
The outer anchor for the main braces aswell as the armour/surface of the object

2. Decks
Self Explanitory, several decks,

3. Main Braces
Big, Think Huge, city sized pillars. and you've got the idea.

4. Core Hull
The secondary Anchor point, for the Main braces also used in the distribution of weight between the braces.

5. Core Braces
Not quite as thick as the Main Braces, but just as important, as the divide the load between the main braces, keeping the object from snapping like a twig.

6. Supporting braces
Aide in the distribution of the weight caused by the decks, secondary and outer hull.

7. Secondary Hull
A hull seperating the decks and the supporting braces, adding strength to the outer anchor of them.

8. Tertiary Hull
Distributes the weight of the supporting braces, prevents the supporting braces from bending any further.

Well, thats my boredom for you.

meh, mebbe you can use it for something.

Edit:Weird tabbing fixed
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

Dude... see the star base thread earlier in this forum... I think it's already been done ;)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Impaler »

I dont realy see what the point of all this is? Are you just postulating on how such a structure might be built? If thats the case then let me offer this Critique.

I dont belive gravity would be as significant a problem as you invision. First off the Death Star isn't realy THAT big, its around 100 miles in Diamiter (if anyone has some official George Lucas numbers please post them). The earch by comparison is 6000 miles in diamiter and is composed of solid rock with a density of 5.5 grams per Cubic Centimeter. Unless their using some ultra Dense Nutronium in the Death Star then its going to have a very low density. Asumming their using steel as the primary building matherial then an AirCraft Carrier or other large military vessel would be a good comparison. And as we all know these things FLOAT in water, their density would be less then half a gram per CC because so much of it is empty space. So as you can see the Gravitational force will be rather low, probly lower then lunar gravity. Another interesting point to note, gravity would go DOWN as you desended towards the core of the ship. A person would weight the most on the surface of a sphere, the remarkable proof of this was discoverd by Newton himself who found that the gravitational atraction on an object inside of a uniform spherical shell of mater was zero nomatter ware inside the sphere you are. Only when Outside the shell would you experience a net force. So the need for internal structural supports would be greatly diminished by this, the supports in the center are holding up the surface of the ship but are not themselves very heavy or adding much to the load.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune