Micromanagement vs. macromanagement

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Blade Runner
Space Squid

Micromanagement vs. macromanagement

#1 Post by Blade Runner »

I played a lot of TBS games. I cannot remember one (exc. MOO3, but it has a lot of other problems), which dont go into micromanagement hell after the first 50-100 turns. We have to do two things to solve this problem in FreeOrion:
1. We must build good management AI.
2. We must restrict the player, so he/she cannot manage everything by him/herself.
The first one is obvious. The AI side(s) needs a good one anyway.
The second is a bit tricky. Who wanna play a game without full player controll?
There are no problems in the games at the beginning. The first few planet (area, etc.) must be controlled by the player, so he/she can fully develop them. The problem arise when one have 20-30 planets. (not to mention 100-200 :D) Controll all of them is time consuming and just not fun. :cry: Let say after the first 10 planets the player cannot controll all of them, just a continously shrinking proportion of them.
IE: The player have 20 planets -> can controll directly only 15 (5 controlled by AI).
from 50 planets -> 25
from 100 planets -> 40
etc.
It can be a solution for other areas, like espionage, fleet movement, exploring, you name it. I know everybody get some favorite parts of any game, so in the beginning the player can pick 2 or 3 areas (like espionage, ship design, diplomacy), what he/she can manage to death. :D I think this feature can save this game to be a second SEIV with complette end game boredom. :twisted:
With this feature on even a multi player game can be much quicker. Very good for a (relatively) short internet fight. :)
-------------------------------------------
Te vagy a Blade Runner. :)

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by skdiw »

Read the other micro vs. macro thread. I have beat this topic to death.

My idea, in summary, is to use Action point (AP) which very much akin to your idea. You get a certain amount AP each turn to do whatever you want including what you said. So generally you get to micro the early without getting a headache in the endgame because the AI would also run under this AP system (doesn't have to) so the human player don't lose out because he didn't manage all those planet.

Other's ideas are talks of good interface. From what I seen so far from the threads and sample pics, it is very good so it should mitigate the problems. But we really don't know until the game release the beta version (I imagine there will be, just to what extent that players will tolerate, 2/3 ppl here are macorer like me and you). There are a lot of ideas on good interface and easy controls so post your ideas. I believe version 0.1 is coming out soon so be sure to download it. We don't make major changes after something that as been "passed" in the game feature thread, so post your ideas when the developer starts a game feature review thread.

Again read the other micro v. macro thread for more detail and post your opinion on that thread.
:mrgreen: