HyperSpace Battle

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Soumaxeridis
Space Krill

HyperSpace Battle

#1 Post by Soumaxeridis »

When two fleets meet in hyperspace while going through the same starlane, there should be a choice of a battle I think.
The idea is cool and the terrain will be different.
Maybe shields won't work in hyperspace or battle computers will have trouble due to relativity of time in hyperspace. This way, some fleets will have an advantage against others and some players will use this instead of waiting for the enemy on the star system. It can add new strategies in the game. Plus, technologies like "Cloaking" while in hyperspace will become more valuable.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by skdiw »

I think that will be neat if players can park their ship in space to serve as sensor beacon... and the opposing players can intercept them.

I don't think ship has to start and end up near a star, players should have an option to stop and mark their territory kinda like building a fortress in civ. Fortresses will attack the immediate space around them.
:mrgreen:

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Impaler »

I am fairly shure that you can only go to "star" points in the galaxy map. Not all of these places are nessarily Stars, some might be nebulas or other specials. The point is though that they are pre-existing in the Galaxy map. You might want to check the Design threads for more infomation though.

As for fleets engaging when they are traveling in a starlane. This is an interesting Idea. Their are 2 possibilites, two fleet moving in oposite directions or one fleet with a faster speed over taking another.

In the First situation theirs potential for some very BIG and deadly colisions (due to the high relatavistic energy of the projectiles). On the other hand we could say that the StarLane is so wide or perhaps their are actualy 2 lanes in each Starlane so no one ever colides, in this case its like "ships passing in the night/starlane" no body even sees the other.

The second senario would seam to be more likly to result in a battle as the relative speeds would be smaller. A "running" battle here might be cool one fleet overtakes the other and starts shooting them in the rear and then gets shoot in the back itself as it passes the first fleet (assuming their is anyone left to shoot back).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Ablaze »

I can only assume that you are taking this idea out of Babalon 5. While the idea sounds neat, I see no reason to make another version of the battle simulator where the laws of physics don't apply in the same way.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by skdiw »

Obviously you guys haven't seen enough Star Trek nor take enough modern physics.

Anyway, back to FO, I think hyper combat is good. We can just restrict the battles to only 2 round battle. So a couple beams and missile fly around and thats it. The hyper battles only goes uses the normal system if both player choses to stop and intercept; but for simplicity's sake, I say just restrict to 2 turns or something.

I been spying on the programming threads and it seems like the galaxy is generated with a matrix that keeps the coordinates of stars and specials. That means that ships can be parked outside of those corrdinates. I don't see why not. You can park cloacked spy ships or something cool.
:mrgreen: