There should be sliders for adjusting industry points.....

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

iamrobk
Space Dragon

There should be sliders for adjusting industry points.....

#1 Post by iamrobk »

spent on 3 things: consumer goods, fleet production, and fleet maintenance (such as building repair parts and what not). You would never be able to move them more than about 5-10 percentage points at a time, as in real life it takes country's a while to get main industry things online and working. In general, high consumer goods would lower unrest and maybe affect some other things, low fleet production would increase build times, while high FP would lower them, and fleet maintenance would increase/decrease the speed at which ships repair (maybe at first if you had it at 10%, a frigate would take like 3 turns to fully repair if it had like 1% health left), and maybe increase/decrease the overall effectness of ships by like -10%-10% or so, as ships would be getting higher quality parts (or lower quality if it was lower). Anyway tell me what you think!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: There should be sliders for adjusting industry points...

#2 Post by utilae »

iamrobk wrote: You would never be able to move them more than about 5-10 percentage points at a time, as in real life it takes country's a while to get main industry things online and working.
Wouldn't you just move the slider where ever you want. So you could move the slider more the 10 percent. You could move it to 100 percent for example. It would just take X turns for the change to take affect.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#3 Post by iamrobk »

Hm.... I like that idea better. Btw all the sliders would always have to add up to 100%. Maybe it could be made so if you move one, it doesn't move the others, but it would let you save changes unless you move another to bring it back to 100.

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by skdiw »

Adjustable fleet maintenence is too complicated.
:mrgreen:

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Krikkitone »

I agree, Fleet maintenance should be either totally automated, or deducted from fleet construction (after all maintenance is basically just partial reconstruction)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Yeah, fleet mainanence may be too complex. Wouldn't you expect your repair crew to fix ships as fast as they can, especially in a war.

Maybe fleet maintanence can be dependent on something else. Like if lots of money is put into production, then fleet maintanence improves. Improved production would mean that there would be lots of parts available to order, so ships being repaired would not have to wait too long for parts to be ordered. Ships would have to wait for ages if there were few parts available.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#7 Post by iamrobk »

I would expect them to repair it as fast as money would allow.

ConstibleBrew
Space Krill

#8 Post by ConstibleBrew »

Isn't it easy enough to assume that want isn't spent on fleet production would go toward some other government programs (such as subsidies for private business or social programs)?

A seperate slider for fleet production vs. maintenance may be useful but can just as well be replaced by:

A) Ships never need repair - once they survive a battle they return to full hull points at no cost. (Simplifies data required on each ship as full hullpoints are always assumed outside of battles.)

B) Ships are immedately repaired after a battle - once they survive a battle they return to full hull points, paying money and minerals out of empire reserves. (Insufficient money/minerals will place the empire in debt while still performing repairs inorder to preserve the simplicity of not tracking ship damage values outside of battles.)

C) Ships must be docked at a planet inorder to undergo repairs - costing a suitable number of industry points. (Requires overhead of tracking each ship and it's hull points at all times.)

Any of these would be suitable. Only option C, however, requires players to consider an additional level of logistics when planning military campaigns. This may add to the enjoyment of some players while some may find it annoying. Most players may just ignore ship repair all together if it doesn't prove to be worth the player's time. (IE. If using the damaged ship as fodder is more effective than back tracking it, repairing, and then returning to the front lines.)

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Krikkitone »

Actually, a simple slider of 'military spending' should be sufficient.

ie I spend 100 on military spending.

Ships cost 10 to build and 1 to maintain

Turn 1
Maintenance: 0
Construction: 10 ships built

Turn 2
Maintenance: 10
Construction: 9 ships built

Turn 3
Maintenance: 19
Construction: 8.1 ships built

Turn 4
Maintenance: 27
Construction: 7.3 ships built

Turn 5
Maintenance: 34
Construction: 6.6 ships built

Turn 6
Maintenance: 41
Construction: 5.9 ships built

Turn 7
Maintenance: 46
Construction: 5.4 ships built

Turn 8
Maintenance: 52
Construction: 4.8 ships built

Turn 9
Maintenance: 57
Construction: 4.3 ships built

Basically maintenance comes first

If any ships were damaged, and it cost $ in excess of regular maintenance to repair (modified option b) then any money left over after maintenance goes into repairing ships and

then any money left goes into new ships

The three things I would see industry points going to are
1. Planetary Development
2. Consumer goods (happiness)
3. Fleet

Government (the player) could spend tax money on all three and money/industry left to planets would be spent on the first two.

If 1 was 'done' nothing more can be built under the planets current conditions, then the money/industry would be split among 2 and 3.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#10 Post by iamrobk »

Hmm....well, I think that just having a "military slider" would be too general.....I mean, yeah, we can't get TOO specific, but I don't wanna be too general.....oh, and yes, I returned. :P

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by PowerCrazy »

No sliders. Large discussion between Nightfish and I and a few of the other members, early in the project.

So if you want something like what you are proposing think of a more interesting way of presenting it.

Though really I'm not sure of what the point of variable fleet costs would be. Would it be some kind of balance thing, or just a feature to throw in? Also isn't same thing accomplished via Money and taxing for fleet maintenance why make a seperate mechanism?
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#12 Post by iamrobk »

Oooh, I don't remember that. Oh well.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Impaler »

If a worlds procuctivity is split between "Build" (ships) and "Money" (pay maintance) they its ultimatly coming from the same sourse and diminishing returns will apply.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune