Diplomacy: The Wheel

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

MentokTheMindtaker
Space Krill

Diplomacy: The Wheel

#1 Post by MentokTheMindtaker »

How about making interspecies relations similar to the EP Wheel? Each Race would have a specific culture/ethics(c/e) Type. Somthing like this:

Code: Select all

Personal Freedom -----  Wisdom seeking
        |                         |
  Personal Power            Technocrats
     Religion               Family/Clan
      Duty --------------   Subservience
Don't ask me about the single items or their place in the wheel, it is just an example. Point is your place in the wheel determinates your relation with the other race:
  • If your cultre/ethics = the other race c/e: You will be best buddies if you choose to(probability of accepting treaties, declaring wars and stuff..). Maybe some Diplomatic Options are only possible here
    If your cultre/ethics is one away from the other race c/e: Your Relations will be adeqaute
    If your cultre/ethics is two or more away from the other race c/e: Your Relations will be terrible.
Racepicks might change this:
charismatic=doubles your "Range" in the wheel(Distance of 1 is treated as 0=best buddies).
Repulsive= the other way arround

Techs might change this too. Besides Techs could determinate if and how you can change your cultre/ethics.The c/e might have certain effects on your empire, but it doesnt have to(like the EP is just a race attribute)

Why I like this Idea:
- Simple
- It mirrors a principle already used in the game
- It opens up strategic elements. In each game you will have "natural allies or enemies". Changes in your c/e gives you new friends, but also new enemies.
- Having an diplomatic centric Race is meaningful

Thoughts?
"I was just summoned, by the spheres!! OOoooh!" --- Mentok, the Mindtaker

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Diplomacy: The Wheel

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This is an interesting idea. It would need to be implemented as content design, though, as we've already made some decisions about how species preferences and empire actions interact.

You do seem to be assuming some things about how empires work - such as that there is one species per empire - which are not consistent with the current design of FreeOrion. Reviewing some "recent" threads on the subject might help, though I should really get to writing out some v0.5 design documentation to make getting familiar with these decisions easier.

namehere
Space Floater

#3 Post by namehere »

i like that idea, but should the player be able to choose the race and the c/e they like, or does the c/e come with the race?, plus should the c/e effect which technologies are available? maybe there should be certain technologies specific to each race and some techs specific to each c/e

geoff, are you saying that there are empires and those are what you are, fight, and ally with, then there are different races within each empire? from what ive played of the alpha, it doesnt really seem like you could implement that in any way the player would notice

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

namehere wrote:geoff, are you saying that there are empires and those are what you are, fight, and ally with, then there are different races within each empire? from what ive played of the alpha, it doesnt really seem like you could implement that in any way the player would notice
You also might want to review some decisions that have already been made. The species on planets are planned to have important effects on planets' productivity, combat, espionage, etc. Players will consequently notice what species are on planets.

MentokTheMindtaker
Space Krill

#5 Post by MentokTheMindtaker »

Sorry for the long delay: I've been busy and then I simply forgot.
Geoff the Medio wrote:You do seem to be assuming some things about how empires work - such as that there is one species per empire.
I do not, though I see how you might think that given that I used the term race when i meant empire. The c/e is an attribute of your empire, not your race.

I've red through the links you gave me(I might have skipped "some" posts though..), but I can't make out the decisions that would be in conflict with the wheel idea. If I understand the current consensus correctly(which I might not) there will be a meter called allegiance for every population in your empire towards every empire in the game. Does this meter determinates interempire realations or just obedience of populations towards your empire(so it would fall under internal politics)?
"I was just summoned, by the spheres!! OOoooh!" --- Mentok, the Mindtaker