Regions

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

aphenine
Space Floater

Re: Regions

#16 Post by aphenine »

@krikkitone

Hmm. I'm not convinced. Really not convinced.

@Bigjoe5

I really like a lot of what's written there. I think that would be awesome for the combat segment and it overrides a lot of my objections.

So, combat aside, what about all the other spheres of the game, like economy and influence? Would they be as well simulated without going into the tactical level? Or is that level of detail something you think the game should be able to live without?

RonaldX
Space Kraken

#17 Post by RonaldX »

This thread is like an homage to the dangers of realism creep.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#18 Post by Krikkitone »

aphenine wrote:@krikkitone

Hmm. I'm not convinced. Really not convinced.
Well that's the simple model...
For a SLIGHTLY more complex model, war is declared when you violate a diplomatic agreement.
So then "no ships in 'my' systems" becomes a "standard peace agreement"

For the tactical (combat as opposed to war) big joe's might work
aphenine wrote:@Bigjoe5

I really like a lot of what's written there. I think that would be awesome for the combat segment and it overrides a lot of my objections.

So, combat aside, what about all the other spheres of the game, like economy and influence? Would they be as well simulated without going into the tactical level? Or is that level of detail something you think the game should be able to live without?
I definitely think that there should not be any difference between the relationship of ANY two planets in the same system in terms of economy/influence, etc.

ie the "Distance Factors" between two planets for those purposes would be
1. Distance of the stars of the two planets (possibly a 'free path')
2. Diplomatic relations between the empires of the two planets
3. Whether the planets are the same or different speceies

Nothing else.

If we were planning on a system with at most a dozen stars, and a hundred planets, then it might work.

aphenine
Space Floater

#19 Post by aphenine »

Yeah, I can see that working fine. It would be nice if economic and influence stuff were also played out on the system level, but if it's not to be, it's not to be.

I'm still not entirely convinced that a Region-like system would be worse, if I'm not convinced that it would be better. So, if I'm still owrking on this in a while time, don't be surprised if I try a code branch just for fun. But for now, I have other stuff I want to do, stuff that's been agreed.