parallell galaxies or multiple galaxies

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Do you think Multiple Galaxies are a good Idea?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 43

darq
Krill Swarm

parallell galaxies or multiple galaxies

#1 Post by darq »

i'm a fan of epic games. i always hated when i played a turnbased strategy game and i conquered everything there was, and the game just ends. all the research all the fleets built, for nothing.
i always played huge galaxy size in moo1 and thought that moo2's galaxy size was too small.
so what i'm suggesting is multiple galaxies, or as a compromise a megamultiubergigantichuge galaxy with 1000s of starsystems (where it would take like 5 minutes to scroll from one edge to another, if you cath my drift) . but i think the parallell/multiple galaxies idea is better. this could even allow you to play more galaxies simultaniously. lets say your fight in your home galaxy (galaxyA) isn't going too well, but you manage to send a colony ship to galaxyB holding off the enemy forces long enough so you can make a new start in galaxyB, where you could return to galaxyA at a later time (after you conquered galaxyB) and recapture your homeworld. or imagine lets say 32 players , 8 in each galaxy, playing in (32/8)*1.5 = 6 galaxies. what will you do, concentrate your resources to conquer your galaxy first and set a foot in an unclaimed galaxy or begin the exodus to one of the alternative galaxies, or maybe focus on both using one for production, one for research?

well i hope you like the idea, it would also add more heh well , "depth" to the game

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

Even if we took your suggestion, the game would still end. You'd just be prolonging it. If someone wants to make a module where you end the game and then another game pops up with some leftovers from the first so it feels like you've 'moved on,' then go nuts. But something like this is unlikely to ever make it into the official release.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

darq
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by darq »

ok, i understand.
well maybe you can add interserverconnectivity in freeorion 2 ;)
but for now, good luck with freeorion 1. :)

this kinda motivates me to continue with my browserbased moo-clone hobbyproject *startsup quanta*

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#4 Post by Daveybaby »

Theres a quite interesting (IMHO) discussion related to this here.

I cant see any of it making it into a 1.0 release of FO, but someone can always mod it in later if they have the talent and inclination.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

More Galaxies

#5 Post by guiguibaah »

Like Aquitaine said - you'd just be prolonging the phase 1 expansion part.
Myself, I liked the idea in Moo2 that you had some really juicy planets that were guarded by space monsters and the Guardian - you could take a gamble and mass produce ships instead of expanding to nab these treasure troves.

I really hope something like that is available in FO - It would be even cooler if there were small clusters of planets like this all bunched up together, creating something of a "great expanse" that nobody would touch until much later in the game (once the remaining planets have all been colonised and war seems to be looming). Do you build a fleet and throw them at your nearest neighbour? Or do you throw your fleet to kill off these planet 'monsters' (or guardians) to nab yourself a juicy planet.

What's Aquitaine view?
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

darq
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by darq »

Daveybaby wrote:Theres a quite interesting (IMHO) discussion related to this here.

I cant see any of it making it into a 1.0 release of FO, but someone can always mod it in later if they have the talent and inclination.
yes i overlooked your post, i just read the heading post and a few replies about SMAC and moved on. but now that i read it, yes it's what i meant to say. and this could be realized with gameservers being connected to each other. i know this is way out of scope considering the current project status. the current goal is to get a moddable mootype game up and running, and this is after-final-release material. i didn't expect a positive response.

about someone can always mod it in later if they have the talent and inclination yes maybe, if the server and client concept is that flexible or extendable, i don't think a python mod could do the trick, if the server or client isn't supporting it.
Like Aquitaine said - you'd just be prolonging the phase 1 expansion part.
not if you could only invade different galaxies if you conquered this galaxy, and even if you could before you conquered it, who says that a war doesn't break out before every planet in every galaxy is colonized. sometimes when the computer ai colonised a planet just 1 turn before my colony ship arrived at it, i would start a war with it (because this mfscking computer just had to ruin my glorious plans of galactic expansion) just because of this one planet.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by Aquitaine »

It's extensible in that, no matter how inflexible our official design may be, the whole thing is open source so anybody can go in and redo however much of our design they want. :)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Rockstone
Space Squid

Re: parallell galaxies or multiple galaxies

#8 Post by Rockstone »

darq wrote:i'm a fan of epic games. i always hated when i played a turnbased strategy game and i conquered everything there was, and the game just ends. all the research all the fleets built, for nothing.
i always played huge galaxy size in moo1 and thought that moo2's galaxy size was too small.
so what i'm suggesting is multiple galaxies, or as a compromise a megamultiubergigantichuge galaxy with 1000s of starsystems (where it would take like 5 minutes to scroll from one edge to another, if you cath my drift) . but i think the parallell/multiple galaxies idea is better. this could even allow you to play more galaxies simultaniously. lets say your fight in your home galaxy (galaxyA) isn't going too well, but you manage to send a colony ship to galaxyB holding off the enemy forces long enough so you can make a new start in galaxyB, where you could return to galaxyA at a later time (after you conquered galaxyB) and recapture your homeworld. or imagine lets say 32 players , 8 in each galaxy, playing in (32/8)*1.5 = 6 galaxies. what will you do, concentrate your resources to conquer your galaxy first and set a foot in an unclaimed galaxy or begin the exodus to one of the alternative galaxies, or maybe focus on both using one for production, one for research?

well i hope you like the idea, it would also add more heh well , "depth" to the game
I agree but we could make it so you slect the galiey so you can see it.but who knows :D
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

haravikk
Space Kraken

#9 Post by haravikk »

It would be awesome if FO could 'scale' in larger games. For example, I choose "Ridiculously oversized universe" in the options, and as such an entire universe is generated with say...6 galaxies in it, players are randomly assigned to these.

So, I start the game and I am in galaxy Beta with seven other races, all I see is this galaxy and the sectors/systems within it.
However, I may reach a point where I 'break' the barrier around my galaxy, allowing me to spread into the rest of the universe, and get stuck in with the other races there.
When this happens however, systems are simply ignored, and are gathered up and thrown into the 'sectors' which become the basic element. If you wish to micromanage then you can open a sector to see systems, but no further. In this way the game has 'scaled' up to ignore planets as they are no longer important in universal terms.

This kind of game would have either a lot of players, or some very empty galaxies. But it would have a truly epic 'feel' to it as you break out of the retraints of your galaxy and go for bigger things (maybe even a special galaxy in the middle populated by 'elder' races!).
It could be around the galactic breakout point that technologies start to become much more difficult to get, as such only an empire that has heavy control of one or more galaxies can get them and consider waging war with elder races.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by miu »

I believe for singleplayer campaign/mods this will be possible. You could link several premade maps/scenarios to follow each other.
Though there will be some problems to tackle if someone wants to create really huge universe mod - like how to get your homegalaxy to send reinforcements you need to another galaxy? Other solutions than scripted events? How the research done in your whole empire will be calculated if the game is played only one galaxy at the time, etc...
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Krikkitone »

Something like that could be done well for single player with indefinite iterations

At any Game point,
You have your Smallest unit of measurement (for economic/political/ imperial control purposes, ie starts out at planets)
You have your Largest Game Unit (for diplomatic purposes.. what you can interact with)

Whenever you be come capable of reaching the 'next level'
smaller units are combined (planets-> systems-> 'sectors')
you move in to a larger 'game unit' and the previously 'blank terrain' is randomly filled in.
(just like the beginning of a FO game could be seen as a 'transition' from a planet level game ala Civ to a Space level game... enemy players are randomly scattered around in the new territory)
(once you got to sectors as the smallest unit, the game would essentially be a simple grid map each time similar to a game like Civ for every level therafter)

Of course the enemy players could have a random variety of starting strengths when you move to a new level, unlike when you start a game... some might still be like MOO2 Natives, only having a small interstellar, rather than intergalactic capability.. others might be bigger than you having reached the intergalactic stage earlier.

This model has the advantage that it could be used to extend the game indefinitely (always new worlds to eXpand, eXplore, eXploit, and new races to eXterminate)... as such any transition would be a 'do you want to win now point'.

muxec
Space Kraken

#12 Post by muxec »

It will demand too much micromanagement.

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#13 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

Micromanagent can be reduced. With bad mm/ui, managing few planets is a burden. With good, you can have serveral universes.

I think we should first concentrate on making good mm/ui system, and then adding more size levels would be easy.

Speaking for myself, I'd love to see 'alternate dimention' - something like hyperspace, where special type of races would dwell. Think Stars! Alternate Universe or ST Specias 8071. And species that would live in stars, or in deep space...but at present trying to add them may be to difficult. I think we should stick to roadmap here.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#14 Post by Aquitaine »

I have to say, maybe in an unofficial capacity, that it's disturbing how many people think this is a good idea.

Multiple universes? What on earth is the point?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by utilae »

Another alternative to this might be a tournament type system. Where players play in one universe, while other players play in another universe. The survivors of each fight it off in a third universe.