Simple request

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Nighthawk
Space Squid
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Simple request

#1 Post by Nighthawk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Red is my favorite color and I use it all the time for empires and everything else. This is probably silly request, but why not make the monsters be grey in color instead?

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Simple request

#2 Post by eleazar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:44 pm

You can see a inconclusive discussion of the subject here: viewtopic.php?p=35332#p35332

The short answer is that grey/white is used for empty and/or neutral planets/systems.
Black would theoretically be idea, but would contrast very badly with the background (which has to stay relatively dark to contrast well with all the other empire colors
So we go with red, a stand-out color with traditional connotations of violence.

You can easily change your copy by editing "empire_colors.xml"-- though i don't know where monster colors are defined.

User avatar
Nighthawk
Space Squid
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Simple request

#3 Post by Nighthawk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Haha, it's not really entirely necessary. There's probably some shade of red that I can select that isn't taken. If there isn't, oh well. I understand the need entirely.

User avatar
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Orion

Re: Simple request

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:59 pm

You know, I sort of have to agree with this. Getting rid of Red as an empire colour doesn't really make much sense. I thought it made sense when they were white, personally (even though I almost always played as the White empire in MoO2). Or if white is too good-guy-ish, then I don't see what's wrong with grey, unless the names of monster-controlled systems (if such a thing is going to exist) are going to be displayed in their colour.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: Simple request

#5 Post by pd » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 pm

I like red as an empire color as well. Monsters should be purple. Nobody likes purple.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Simple request

#6 Post by Zireael » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 pm

pd wrote:I like red as an empire color as well. Monsters should be purple. Nobody likes purple.
I like purple as a color, but it's horrible to see with the black background. So it's out.

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: Simple request

#7 Post by pd » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Zireael wrote:So it's out.
No, it's not.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Simple request

#8 Post by eleazar » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Well, if we implement flag/emblems as i'd like them to be, red can be chosen as a secondary color.

temetvince
Space Krill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:38 am

Re: Simple request

#9 Post by temetvince » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 pm

Would it be difficult to give users the choice to change the colors in the settings or options screen? It could also be done for neutral planets color.

If it's easy to change by coding, why not simply make a graphical option for the user and be done with the problem of picking the perfect color without using a color a user likes to play as?

As a side note, boardgamegeek.com had a forum poll and red was the second most desired color to play in board games, following green. Purple was actually fairly high up there too. However, white and grey were close to the bottom of the list, and tan was ever lower. Maybe this helps.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/715038/ ... the/page/1

User avatar
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Orion

Re: Simple request

#10 Post by Bigjoe5 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:09 pm

temetvince wrote:Would it be difficult to give users the choice to change the colors in the settings or options screen? It could also be done for neutral planets color.

If it's easy to change by coding, why not simply make a graphical option for the user and be done with the problem of picking the perfect color without using a color a user likes to play as?
Because then in multiplayer games, you might be playing against someone who chose the same colour for their empire that you chose for space monsters, which would be really bad.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

temetvince
Space Krill
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:38 am

Re: Simple request

#11 Post by temetvince » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:44 am

Bigjoe5 wrote:
temetvince wrote:Would it be difficult to give users the choice to change the colors in the settings or options screen? It could also be done for neutral planets color.

If it's easy to change by coding, why not simply make a graphical option for the user and be done with the problem of picking the perfect color without using a color a user likes to play as?
Because then in multiplayer games, you might be playing against someone who chose the same colour for their empire that you chose for space monsters, which would be really bad.
Duh. That makes sense.

Well it was a nice try I suppose.

User avatar
Uziush Vielky
Space Floater
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:26 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Simple request

#12 Post by Uziush Vielky » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 pm

No - it doesn't make sense.

For example in Red Alert 2 you could simply choose your preffered colour in the game options. If you joind a game and your colour was chosen by someone that joined before you, you just had to choose another colour from the list. In FO it could be done in the 1st turn of the a game by a pop up "choose your colour from the ones didn't taken form the list below".

Besides that, the person hosting the game should decide what colour the monsters are and it should be displayed to the players before starting (a pop up or a menu for colour references).

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Simple request

#13 Post by eleazar » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Uziush Vielky wrote:If you joind a game and your colour was chosen by someone that joined before you, you just had to choose another colour from the list. In FO it could be done in the 1st turn of the a game by a pop up "choose your colour from the ones didn't taken form the list below".
That's how it's supposed to work for players. And then AI empires get the left over colors starting from the top of the list. Monsters however, are a constant, different from player or AI empires, and IMHO should have a constant color.
Uziush Vielky wrote:Besides that, the person hosting the game should decide what colour the monsters are and it should be displayed to the players before starting (a pop up or a menu for colour references).
I know that Red is a popular color, but it is also the color that makes the most sense for monsters. Maybe in the future we'll provide more options, but at this point, this kind of thing isn't a priority.

revision 4457
I added a dark red empire-color option, since that could be done without matching existing colors too closely,

User avatar
Nighthawk
Space Squid
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:00 pm

Re: Simple request

#14 Post by Nighthawk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:22 am

Yay! I made something happen xD

I'm really happy too, I like Red

Post Reply