tech-quotes

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

tech-quotes

#1 Post by Satyagraha »

i just watched Metropolis by Fritz Lang, and there was this sentence:

"Between the planning mind and the working hands, there needs to be a mediator"

This reminded me of all the great quotes in Alpha Centauri that were displayed everytime a new tech was researched... may not fit the theme of FreeOrion as well, but there *got* to be quotes ;)

some more that could fit to techs:

"Power never takes a back step - only in the face of more power."
- Malcolm X (1925 - 1965), Malcolm X Speaks, 1965

"History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives."
- Abba Eban (1915 - 2002)

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903) "Maxims for Revolutionists"

"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist."
- Indira Gandhi (1917 - 1984)

"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)

"What is food to one, is to others bitter poison."
- Lucretius (96 BC - 55 BC), De Rerum Natura

"Big Brother is watching you."
- George Orwell (1903 - 1950)

"DIPLOMACY, n. The patriotic art of lying for one's country."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

"REBEL, n. A proponent of a new misrule who has failed to establish it."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
- Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)

"Be entirely tolerant or not at all; follow the good path or the evil one. To stand at the crossroads requires more strength than you possess."
- Heinrich Heine (1797 - 1856)

"Every moment of one's existence one is growing into more or retreating into less."
- Norman Mailer (1923 - ), O Magazine, January 2004

"Law is order, and good law is good order."
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."
- Muhammad Ali (1942 - )

"War has become a luxury that only small nations can afford."
- Hannah Arendt (1906 - 1975)

"Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof."
- Ashley Montague

"When a thing has been said and well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it."
- Anatole France (1844 - 1924)

"Man is ready to die for an idea, provided that idea is not quite clear to him."
- Paul Eldridge

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others."
- George Orwell (1903 - 1950)

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space."
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

well, enough of that ;)

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#2 Post by That Guy »

Ya, I like that idea, but we are going to have to make up afew to fill in the spaces, and maybe they could be by future people, maybe aliens from the game, like a gigazul(sp?) once said, "For the hive, for the hive."
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

yeah, i loved those quotes in alpha centauri. added a lot of atmosphere to this game.

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by PowerCrazy »

Those were GREAT in SMAC. I'm not sure the audio would mesh well with FO, but we can still have a quote for each specific text. We could easilly come up with good ones.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by Aquitaine »

I'd love to do something like that. I have access to a few voice actors (and am one myself) but not so much in the way of decent recording equipment. But it's something we could experiment with.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by Tyreth »

I've been wanting to do this for FO.

Starrh
Space Squid

#7 Post by Starrh »

Aquitaine wrote:I'd love to do something like that. I have access to a few voice actors (and am one myself) but not so much in the way of decent recording equipment. But it's something we could experiment with.

-Aq
You send me an audio file as good as you can make it and I will see what I can do with the software I have. I can do some amazing stuff with the program Sonar.
If it was easy then we all would be doing it!

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Historic Quotes

#8 Post by guiguibaah »

If historic quotes are going to be implemented, it would be best to match them up with the technologies, building enhancements, and maybe even special events.

Also....

Maybe a new section in the forums for "game quotes" can be made for future alien races - IE: Quotes that we thought up ourselves.

Finally...

As for the alien races, it would be interesting to do what they have done in Freespace. Have the alien talking in the background (like in moo3) - but about a second later after the alien starts talking, a mechanised translator translates the text into modern english (while the alien still speaks in the background).
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by PowerCrazy »

And gag quotes.

Lvl 50 uber laser.

"Ok, you are done researching now, why are you still playing? GO WIN."

Useless tech lvl 2
"I told you that these techs were worthless when you got lvl 1. Stop researching this"

Starship construction
"You have unlocked one of the Xs in this 5X game. Now quickly begin to eXploit this one."
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)