More specials /techs / ship designs

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

wheals
Space Squid

Re: More specials /techs / ship designs

#31 Post by wheals »

Zireael wrote:A single post with all ideas being thrown around concerning specials:
1) eccentric -
This planet has an eccentric orbit around its star. Its strong gravitational influence disrupts the orbits of the planets in the same system. Planets in the same system will have infrastructure reduced by 10 and supply reduced by 1.

2) frozen - this gas giant is so far away from the star that it's frozen. Infrastructure reduced by 10 and max pop reduced by 5.
3) variable - similar to Gaia, but changing EP's randomly every 20 turns
4) substandard (formerly suggested as lifeless) - Max pop reduced by 20 until a special tech is researched.
5) stable surface (I still think it might be interesting to have an ability to inhabit some gas giants)
5) rings - Infrastructure increased by 10.
6) moons - Research increased by 0.1 Population.
Would all of these be gas giant only? #2, #5 (the second), and #3 wouldn't seem to matter unless you had #5. Also eccentric could be renamed "unstable orbit," because there's already an "eccentric orbit" special, but these are all really cool ideas.

Some of my own:
  • High tectonic activity - increases production but decreases population
  • Low density core - the lower gravity decreases production but also decreases costs of building shipyards (could do this with an If HasSpecial in shipyards' cost attribute), also increases supply
  • Neutronium deposits - like ancient ruins, researching a tech will give you a special ship built of neutronium, maybe, would also give production bonus
  • Drifting orbit - If there is no ship present in the system (to correct the orbit or some other fluff) the effects of the unstable orbit special will apply.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#32 Post by Zireael »

#2 is gas giant only. I believe that we could have rings on planets others than GG, at least that was the case in MoO series.

Stable surface would only give a small population bonus, like +2 or something, making it possible to establish a small colony on a GG.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#33 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'm reluctant to add anything about planet rings unless rendering can be updated to display them nicely. There are textures, but I don't know or care to invest time in learning enough OpenGL coding to add suitable geometry and shadowing of the planet sphere to flexibly display rings.

Ragwortshire
Space Floater

#34 Post by Ragwortshire »

A really obvious idea for a GG special (don't know if it's possible to implement):

Major Moon (<Environment>): The Gas Giant may be colonised as if it were a Tiny planet of the specified Environment.

So if you find a Major Moon (Terran), and you're Humans, it might be worth colonising the Gas Giant even before you research GGG.
Any patch contained in this post is released under the GPL 2.0 or later.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#35 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ragwortshire wrote:Major Moon
As proposed, that would be difficult to implement cleanly since all the conditions check for planet type, not for presence of a special. It's also an unnecessary complication in practice; if a <type> planet is wanted, then the game can just add a planet of that type.

Ragwortshire
Space Floater

#36 Post by Ragwortshire »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Ragwortshire wrote:Major Moon
As proposed, that would be difficult to implement cleanly since all the conditions check for planet type, not for presence of a special. It's also an unnecessary complication in practice; if a <type> planet is wanted, then the game can just add a planet of that type.
The idea is that you'd be able to build a GGG (and any other structures that require a Gas Giant) without needing an otherwise-useless outpost.
Any patch contained in this post is released under the GPL 2.0 or later.