Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanagement

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Post Reply
Message
Author
Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanagement

#1 Post by Zireael » Tue May 15, 2012 7:04 am

I wish the buildings tab on production screen were split three ways:
1) buildings -> these affect only the current planet
2) shipyards -> a single shipyard in a system, to limit micromanagement (why should I have the option to build a shipyard in all 6 planets in a system is beyond me, as it's completely unnecessary)
3) wonders/breakthroughs -> whatever we call them. The kind of buildings that we should be only 1 in an empire and which affect the entire empire (Observatory, Bioterror Projection Base, Genome Bank, Cloning Center etc.)

I realize the problem of already built buildings appearing on the list would not be solved, but this way at least, the screen would be less cluttered.

----------------
Another idea I had - limiting the number of buildings that can be built on a planet. Shipyards would be excepted, as they are built in-system rather than on-planet, fluff-wise. Either a general cap, say, 10, or a cap depending on a planet's size and/or habitability.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#2 Post by eleazar » Tue May 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Zireael wrote:Another idea I had - limiting the number of buildings that can be built on a planet. Shipyards would be excepted, as they are built in-system rather than on-planet, fluff-wise. Either a general cap, say, 10, or a cap depending on a planet's size and/or habitability.
If the buildings are more than rarely pushing 10 per planet (excluding shipyards), then we've probably defined the buildings so that too many are 'build-everywhere' buildings.

User avatar
marhawkman
Large Juggernaut
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: GA

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#3 Post by marhawkman » Tue May 15, 2012 4:33 pm

I can't think of many, just SYs.
Computer programming is fun.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#4 Post by Zireael » Tue May 15, 2012 5:31 pm

I thought of the cap before I thought about making SYs systemwide.

Indeed, making SYs systemwide would probably remove the problem of too many buildings at a planet.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#5 Post by Zireael » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am

Bump - any hope of getting the tabs split? I saw another person on these forums who complained about already built items being in the 'producible' tab...

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#6 Post by eleazar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Zireael wrote:I thought of the cap before I thought about making SYs systemwide.

Indeed, making SYs systemwide would probably remove the problem of too many buildings at a planet.
Huh? There's seldom a reason to build more than one shipyard in a system, so enforcing one shipyard per system wouldn't change much.

Though currently the species of the planet with the shipyard determines the species of the colony ship, so unless that gets changed-- one shipyard per system is not a good idea. In the future different species will probably be better or worse at ship combat.

User avatar
marhawkman
Large Juggernaut
Posts: 938
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: GA

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#7 Post by marhawkman » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:46 am

I'll often do it at a location with a strategic sugnificance. Isn't a single shipyard limited in how many resources it can consume each turn?
Computer programming is fun.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#8 Post by Zireael » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:47 am

Maybe a single shipyard for a system is a bad idea, but what about these tabs?

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#9 Post by eleazar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:05 pm

marhawkman wrote:I'll often do it at a location with a strategic sugnificance. Isn't a single shipyard limited in how many resources it can consume each turn?
No, though making such a limit has been considered.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#10 Post by Zireael » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:59 am

Is there a chance of getting the tabs I mentioned in the first post? It would make the lists clearer and more understandable...

User avatar
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Orion

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#11 Post by Bigjoe5 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Zireael wrote:Is there a chance of getting the tabs I mentioned in the first post? It would make the lists clearer and more understandable...
Not easily. The classification of buildings you described aren't different in terms of anything that could easily be sorted by.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#12 Post by Zireael » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:29 am

Bigjoe5 wrote:
Zireael wrote:Is there a chance of getting the tabs I mentioned in the first post? It would make the lists clearer and more understandable...
Not easily. The classification of buildings you described aren't different in terms of anything that could easily be sorted by.
So why do we have these "wonder-type buildings" and "shipyards"? Both of these have different usage than "standard buildings"...

User avatar
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Orion

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#13 Post by Bigjoe5 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Zireael wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:
Zireael wrote:Is there a chance of getting the tabs I mentioned in the first post? It would make the lists clearer and more understandable...
Not easily. The classification of buildings you described aren't different in terms of anything that could easily be sorted by.
So why do we have these "wonder-type buildings" and "shipyards"? Both of these have different usage than "standard buildings"...
Every building has a different use from every other type of building. I'm not even sure what the distinction you're making between "wonder-type buildings" and "standard buildings" is, and the only thing that distinguishes a "shipyard" from a "standard building" is that there exist some ship parts or hulls that have that building as a location condition - not the easiest thing to check for. We could do it with tags, I guess, but then that seems to needlessly confuse the relationship between the source code and the content files.

Also, there's no reason "shipyards" couldn't have some effects like normal buildings too...
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Buildings - making a better list, limiting micromanageme

#14 Post by eleazar » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Zireael wrote:1) buildings -> these affect only the current planet
Do we even currently have any like that?

The general plan is to avoid the MoO/Civ "build lots of buildings everywhere" thing. I part by making them more like Wonders (wide ranging effect) or useful only in specific situations (Shipyards).

Post Reply