Rare/uncommon Organic hull tech tree?

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Karoushi
Space Squid

Rare/uncommon Organic hull tech tree?

#1 Post by Karoushi »

Shouldn't the organic hull be something that is uncommon/rare?

My suggestions for making it so would be:

1. Require Monster spawns to be domesticated (colonized) in order to unlock organic tech tree.

2. If monsters are off, Colonize a planet with Natives on it, to unlock the organic hull tech tree.

In reaction to this, the structure could be increased a bit (or some other stat buff) as it wouldn't be used as often, or immediately.
It would require some actual effort to obtain and it would make sense with the "Domesticated mega-fauna" tech description.

Thoughts?

yandonman
Creative Contributor

Re: Rare/uncommon Organic hull tech tree?

#2 Post by yandonman »

Justification? What problem are you trying to solve?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Karoushi
Space Squid

#3 Post by Karoushi »

Coordination with the tech tree?

Right now you have to research Domesticated Mega-Fauna, which implies that monsters give you organic hulls, so I figured what if that were actually so and you actually had to capture monsters, or natives, to get the organic hull.

In my mind, an organic hull is more advanced than a normal metal hull and I was just thinking that perhaps it should reflect that.

Honestly as it stands right now the ships could be balanced because I don't see any real clear justification for how any ship is setup, one might be better and be cheaper then something that is researched after it, which implies that the tech that you are researching that comes after it isn't better at all, isn't more advanced and thus no real gains.

Basically along with the tech tree I think it would be a good idea to put down a basic design of the flow of the technology of ships. It seems fairly scattered and a lot of them seem impractical, like the robotic ship ~ it doesn't need life systems yet it costs so much and weighs so much that there is no reason to build it, compared to the organic ships.

Essentially I think just some balancing and some thinking needs to be done as to what ships serve what real purpose and making the changes to reflect that.

Just some distinction on hulls and perhaps some requirements to acquire new hull technology would raise the usage of the lesser-used hulls if they were placed correctly in the tech tree and cost a proper amount, with perhaps a statistics increase if the hulls become harder to obtain.

Too many ships with no real difference between them, ultimately boiling down to price:performance and the rest of the ships can be ignored (this is the problem) ~ So if the cost and place in the tech tree is adjusted (and a stats increase if they are harder to obtain), the ships could be utilized instead of just ignored.

This is kind of an iceberg subject, a little question on the top but a lot of different answers and subjects underneath which make up the weight of the discussion.

@ post below ~ I'm sorry if I bother you or something dilvish, but this is the brainstorming section ~ and that is what I like to do: Brainstorm. I like to think up solutions, I know about the other discussions but I'm trying to think up actual solutions instead of just talk about it, Thanks for the concern though. It doesn't help the thread anyway when you insist on posting to remind me of the search function, which I already know about.
Last edited by Karoushi on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Ship hull tech restructuring, and ship hull balancing, has been getting significant attention the past few months, and right now is in the middle of a big overhaul, kind of put on hiatus to get out 0.4.2. There's been a lot of discussion of various aspects of it on the boards, and if you do a little searching you'll find a fair bit of recent discussion on the organic hulls in particular.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by yandonman »

My current thinking is that the other ship lines need love before we nerf organics.

I agree with the problem, though I would use the suggestions in other areas.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by unjashfan »

My current thinking is that the other ship lines need love before we nerf organics.
Definitely.