Conceptualizing Meters

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

drek
Designer Emeritus

Conceptualizing Meters

#1 Post by drek »

I find it easier to have a conversastion on the forums. Responding to the following message here:

Tyreth wrote:
I thought that what automatic buildings were on a planet was based
solely on the level of the infrastructure meter. Eg, a building may say
"all planets with this level of infrastructure have this building".
Those automatic buildings then provide a simple bonus - eg, +1 research,
or +1 farming.

It could be though that I'm not actually understanding what meters are
correctly.

Are you saying that these automatic buildings will increase the
infrastructure meter, or does the infrastructure meter determine which
automatic buildings are on that planet which then add to other meters?

Or something completely different?
All fluff aside, these are the common situations I foresee:

Tech X adds points to Meter Y on all planets.
Tech X2 adds points to Meter Y on all planets meeting some condition.
Tech X3 adds points to Meter Y on all planets set to Focus Y.
Tech X4 unlocks Building A. Constructing Building A adds points to Meter Y to all nearby planets set to Focus Y.

Under the Geoff/Krik infra system, the points are added the Max Meter. The current meter value slowly builds up to the Max value.

With fluff:

Improved Factories adds +1 point to the Industry meter of all worlds.
Floating Platforms adds +20% to the Population capacity of all Ocean planets, and +10% pop cap on Terran/Swamp worlds.
Biodome adds +3 points to the Farming meters of all worlds set to focus on Farming.
Unionized Workers unlocks the Miner's Guild, which adds +5 to Mining, -1 to Money on all worlds set to focus Mining within 1 starlane hop of the Miner's Guild. Each turn, there is a 5% chance for each Mining planet of a Miner's Strike event, if Happiness on that world is below 5.

(note, the effects I have written up on my v.3 ScratchPad on the wiki account for all these kinds of effects.)

-----
The meters themselves are actual meters, though perhaps using icons instead of boxes to represent each point.

If there's a Civ3/moo2 type city view of the planet, I imagine that each built up point on a meter would be represented by a funny little building sprite. Each actual building in a build slot would be a great big thing, like the Wonders on the city view of Civ3. So the planet with the Miner's Guild would have a picture of a huge ass Miner's Guild surrounded by dinky little mines (and other buildings, one for each point of population and built up meters.)

We could have certain techs add a sprite to the list of funny little buildings. So Biodome would include a picture of a little greenhouse looking thing to the list of sprites used when drawing out the dots of the Farming meter. Might also use other meters to determine which kind of building sprite to use on a hypothetical city view: a high Happiness and Health results in lots of brightly colored happy buildings. A low Happiness and Health results in slummy looking buildings.

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#2 Post by LonghornXtreme »

Wouldn't unionized workers actually decrease production and increase cost?

:D

Ragnar
Space Squid

#3 Post by Ragnar »

Good stuff, Drek. I think you're on the right track there. Maybe you could have a mouse-over tool tip pop up that shows the sprites and a +X beside them for all effects on each meter.

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

Sounds good. A mouse based popup - or perhaps an ability to right click and get option menu relevant to given panel - would be very useful (the idea of information layers - you see the big picture but can go deeper if u want to).