Brainstorming Building, tech, specials

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

drek
Designer Emeritus

#16 Post by drek »

eh,

The effects of interesting tech/specials/buildings should derive from the fluff.

If it's just a bunch of bonuses (and unlocking of buildings that give bonuses) we don't need a detailed effects document, nor a submissions process--from past experiences, I'm guessing that there won't be but two or three people interested in crunching bland numbers.

The v3 tech tree could be extremely simple. It could consist of one branch for each resource (and one branch for the v1 ships, another branch for construction/population/terraforming). Each tech level would be nearly identical for each resource.

Step 3b on the roadmap could be eliminated entirely, so we can get straight to work on the monsterous v.4.

Example v3 Tech tree:

Level one: Adds +1 to all planets. Unlocks Resource Building I. Resource Building I adds +10 to all planets focused on producing the resource within one starlane hop.

Level two: Adds +5 to all planets focused on producing the resource.

Level three: Adds +2 to all planets.

Level four: Adds +5 to all planets focused on producing the resource. Adds +2 to another trait (Construction, Health, or another resource)

Level five: Adds +3 to all planets. Adds +3 to another trait (Construction, Health or another resource)

Level six: Unlocks Resource Building II, which adds +15 to all planets focused on producing the resource within two starlane hops. -5 to all other resources locally. Building adds +3 to population locally.

Level ....: etc. etc. etc. Until all the bonuses + Primary Focus adds up to 100.

The tech levels wouldn't even really need names (Farming I, II, III seems good enough.)

When/if it gets to the point when we can start adding more interesting buildings (v5/v6), the tech tree is redesigned from this skeleton. Or the simple tech tree is kept, and the more interesting effects (spawing random events, etc) are only used by planet specials/events/etc. (and really, if all races more or less share the same tech tree, it won't pay to make it too specific)

The programmers would just need to be aware that the list of potential effects will be expanded from the simple v.3 set.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If this thread is intended to contain stuff for v0.3a or b or whatever, I think the whole thread is premature. There's no point in brainstorming interesting and implimenting complicated and fluffy buildings and their effects at the point, when many (most?) of the game systems, and thus effects that interact with them, aren't even designed yet, let alone in the game.

For v0.3 buildings and specials, the programmers and design people should just make up a few of each that collectively cover all the types of effects that get included in v0.3. Maybe, make a tech for each one, in whatever tree or web geometry is desired, similar to the techs in v0.1 and v0.2.

The specifics of buildings and specials and tech don't matter at this point, as long as the effects that are included in v0.3 get tested. Buildings and specials in v0.3 should be like the Marks I-IV, colony and scout ships... nothing interesting / fluffy... just enough to test what is included. drek's suggestions above for tech levels are even a bit excessive, though would be fine.

Unless, of course, there is some sort of scripting system for non-programmer implimentation of buildings / specials, in which case the testers and designers can make up whatever buildings the scripting allows, in order to test the scripting as much as test the game itself. Fluff could be a descriptive text field for any scripted objects, but doesn't need to be thought about much right now.

Later, when ships, empires and other such systems get designed and built, we can start working on actual "final" buildings designs, like the ones that have been suggested so far in this thread, and likely based partly on ideas extracted from this thread.

Before then, we might want to think about the larger scale "strategic design" issues about buildings, like how best to balance them and make for lots of meaningful choices and different strategies... and what sorts of choices and strategies are wanted, and why. Even that is dependent on other undesigned systems though, so is probably premature for now.

In the meantime, this thread could/should be used to brainstorm types of buildings, and especially their "fluff" and the sorts of effects they might produce as a long-term bank of ideas, but not specifically for v0.3 (in which things should be borning generic and mostly fluffless, but useful for testing).

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by tzlaine »

As far as I am concerned, all we need is something like Drek has suggested for v0.30. However, we need a bit more. We need to have enough techs to test the overall tech design, and that includes theory, application and refinement. It doesn't have to be extensive, but we need at least some set of techs in that arrangement.

We can always start to flesh out some real techs that we intend to keep in later versions of the game, starting with v0.31 or later. In fact, we need to have techs that use all parts of the Effects model, do that we can test it in as early a release as possible; the later we find a problem, the more it will delay us. For v0.30 though, I think Drek is on the right track with some simple dummy techs.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#19 Post by Aquitaine »

The plan (on my end, anyway) is that there will be no 'v0.30' release of the game -- just of the design doc. v0.31 (the actual release) is simply v0.30 plus content. I agree with tzlaine that there is no point in releasing a game with a tech system but no tech, I just think adding techs for v0.31 versus back-adding themt o v0.30 is the same thing described two different ways.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Zeno
Space Floater

Tech-Computer Levels

#20 Post by Zeno »

:idea: Computers--a dozen or so levels of them. All aspects of the game would be improved, depending on the type of computer or AI discovered. Also, ship weapons accuracy and troop effectiveness, because of improved communications. Parallel precessing would be a logical early-game tech. Then supercomputers, parallel supercomputers, supercomputer AI's, etc. The quantum entanglement supercomputer, an expensive late-game tech, can process 10ee30 bytes per second, and information transfer is instantaneous throughout the empire regardless of distance, doubling ship weapons accuracy and that of the super-AI-admirals. Some would improve research, but not too much. However, the results are not seen immediately upon attaining a new computer level; continued research is needed to implement each computer advancement into each area it is to be used in. Results occur in the order of priority of the empire's financial/research efforts. Or, the player may be able to set them.

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Aquitaine wrote:The plan (on my end, anyway) is that there will be no 'v0.30' release of the game -- just of the design doc. v0.31 (the actual release) is simply v0.30 plus content. I agree with tzlaine that there is no point in releasing a game with a tech system but no tech, I just think adding techs for v0.31 versus back-adding themt o v0.30 is the same thing described two different ways.
Given Tyreth's announcment:
Tyreth wrote:It is our plan to announce FreeOrion to the wider community with the release of 0.3, and so this is the reason why we want it as well presented as possible.
[...]
First, the actual technology and buildings to be included in 0.3 must be fleshed out and implemented.

I get the impression that there will be a v0.3 release... Is this the case? If so, I belive my previous comment was in error...
Geoff the Medio wrote:Buildings and specials in v0.3 should be like the Marks I-IV, colony and scout ships... nothing interesting / fluffy... just enough to test what is included.
... If we're having this big important publisized realease, it should probably have more than just "testing" content...

So what is the current plan for buildings / tech / specials etc. for v0.3 / v0.3a / v0.31 ? Is the plan just to make some basic content to test the included features, or should we be thinking up a slew of fluff-filled descriptive names for buildings which are also interesting and fun and well-balanced? (as was happening on the first few pages of this thread)

In either case, the effects to be in v0.3, perhaps indicated here: http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php ... ts#Effects probably need to be tested / fully represented by the content of v0.31 ...

Rob
Space Floater

#22 Post by Rob »

A few level of factorys
But dond call them "Factory level I" or "Factory level IX" that is so unimaginative...
You can only have one ot them at the same time, higher advanced ones replace the less advanced ones.

Automatised factorys
+25% Industrial output
very low tech level,

Robot factorys
+50% Industrial output
low tech level,

Nanites factorys
+100% Industrial output
medium tech level,

Industrial replicators
+200% Industrial output
high tech level,

same for mining:

Automatised mines
+25% Ressource output
very low tech level,

Robot mines
+50% ressource output
low tech level,

Nanites mining
+100% ressource output
medium tech level,

Extraction teleporters
+200% resource output
high tech level,

If you need names for more different "levels", ask me... :wink:

And:

Recyclotron
-35% industrial deamand of ressources for this planet
medium Tech level
Wer die Welt gezielt verändern will, muss sie zuerst einmal verstehen!
One of your german brothers: http://www.fatal-universe.de

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by miu »

Note that final graphics for all the basic technologies are to be done before we move to 0.4 - after that I want only do graphics for technologies relevant to that update. Also making the graphs take time and to do them we require all the fluff and design we are going to have. Effects can be decided later - I want the ideas. We should do this once for all now.

We should continue thinking fluffy theories, technologies and refinements that will make it to the final version and work out a tech tree that is our base in later versions. I loved the Drek's idea of technologies that tell a story, more in that direction - the better. (just a robot factory is boring and unimaginative - how to add more unique/storytelling/immersive assets to it? remember, these are wonder-sized buildings)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

miu: Could you please clarify your last post for me?
miu wrote:Note that final graphics for all the basic technologies are to be done before we move to 0.4
What do you mean by "basic technologies"? What do you mean by "move to 0.4" ( I presume this refers to v0.4... but do you mean design or coding or content or graphics or...? )
Also making the graphs take time and to do them we require all the fluff and design we are going to have. Effects can be decided later - I want the ideas. We should do this once for all now.
You want ideas for what? We should do what now? What do you mean by "we require all the fluff and design we are going to have" ?
We should continue thinking fluffy theories, technologies and refinements that will make it to the final version and work out a tech tree that is our base in later versions.
It sounds like you have a method to design the tech tree as a whole in mind... How would that work?

Are you suggesting we come up with all possible fluff / story ideas for all technologies, allowing the graphics to get made, and then decide what bonuses / costs to attach to the technologies afterwards?

Do you just want a big list of possible techs, buildings, etc. in terms of fluff / story / descriptive ideas that can be inspiration for graphics, or are you planning to wait until the tech tree and content are set in stone?

Thanks.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#25 Post by miu »

I'm just eager to get started, patience isn't my best trait ;)

Put simple, graphicians can't do anything as long as we have just farming I-IV, once we know we will have titles "soil enrichment with genetically modified bacteria" "underground farming installation" or "agricultural university" we can begin. I'll wait and see how the tech-submissions here viewtopic.php?t=857 will work out - it seems that until fluff is decided, it takes a while.

But before we start submitting them, we could do some preliminary work/brainstorming. I like your approach of listing lots different fluffy/descriptive/storytelling ideas - without caring too much about the effects - just with a simple definition (adds to farming - adds to farming in whole system after this refinement) if any.

After we have good bunch of these, we can start discussing what to keep, modify, combine, refine, leave out, add more storyelements etc. After a while we will see a handful of techs that feel like keepers, and eventually more of them so that we can start thinking in what order they should be in tech tree (ages?) and which are prerequisities of others. After finding an order we can then lay down their effects and costs in more detail. - but in this phase we probaply have submitted them to official discussion already.

basic technologies = everything in 0.3, everything else excecpt technologies that affect issues of coming versions (ship/space/groundbattle technologies, diplomacy& spying techs etc.)

So yes, gathering a list of good fluffy ideas sounds likea a brainstorming start, hmm, have to think of some :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

muxec
Space Kraken

#26 Post by muxec »

Tech tree base attempts:

Domain: (Bio)logy

Science: Eco-systems
Domain: Biology
Preqs: None
Apllications: Space Zoo

Science: Advanced microbiology
Apllications: Bio-fertilization

Science: Genetic manipulations
Apllications: Bio-labs

Science: Genetic engeneering
Preqs: Gen.Manipulations(Bio)
Apllications: Death spores, Mega-potatoes

Science: Artificial life
Preqs: Superorganics(Chem), Adv. Microbiology (Bio)
Apllications: Nutrient factory, Symbiot lab

Science: Biomasses
Preqs: Artificial life (Bio), Gen. Eng(Bio)
Apllications: Hydroponic farms, Superimplantation

Science: Planetary transformations
Preqs: Eco-systems(Bio), Genetic engeneering(Bio)
Apllications: Teraforming I

Science: Life extraction
Preqs: Biomasses (Bio), Tachyon theory(Phy)
Apllications: Death ray, killer bomb

Science: Origins of intelligence
Preqs: Life extraction(Bio), Eco-systems(Bio)
Apllications: Direct university, Psy-Troops

Science: Matter-Free life
Preqs: Life extraction (Bio), Space-Time theory II (Phy)
Apllications: Scientist cloning, Advanced espionage

Science: Complex transformations
Preqs: Matter-Free life(Bio), Planetary transformations(Bio)
Apllications: Terraforming II

Science: Bioharvesting
Preqs: Matter-Free life (Bio), Origins of intelligence(Bio)
Apllications: Stupid bomb, Zombism, Supreme soldier

Science: Eco-revolution
Preqs: Artificial Life(Bio), Bioharvesting (Bio)
Apllications: Gaia transformation

Ideas for other domains will be posted soon.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#27 Post by miu »

Something to demostrate how more bonuses would look, early-mid game stuff, very unbalanced,wanted to write it down :)

BIG Theory: Quark Construction
Allows detailed nanoscale construction to be done in cheaply and easily.
Opens huge possibilties in all areas of research.
  • Opens:
    T:Nanobreed Industry
    T:Nano Medics
    T:Universal Field Theory
Theory:Nanobreed Industry
  • Opens:
    A:Nanotechnic Factories
    • R:Quark communication
    A:Nano Mining
    A:Quark Control Coils (prerequisite: Nanomining OR Nanotechnic Factories)
    B:Nanomachine Development Testing Area
Application-Nanotechnic Factories
  • adds +5 to productionmax on all worlds
    adds +10 to productionmax on worlds with production as primary focus.
    adds +5 to productionmax on worlds with production as secondary focus
    adds +5 to infrastructure max
    2% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on every planet on system
    10% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on worlds with safety <20
    10% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on worlds with health <20

refinement: Quark Communication
    + 5 to production max on all worlds with production as primary focus
    + 5 to production max on all worlds with production as secondary focus
    + 5 to infrastructure on every planet

Application-Nano Mining
  • adds +5 miningmax on all worlds
    adds +10 to miningmax on worlds with farming as primary focus.
    adds +5 to miningmax on worlds with farming as secondary focus.
    adds +2 to infrastructure max
    2% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on every planet on system
    10% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on worlds with safety <20
    10% change to launch Grey Mass Incident on worlds with health <20
Event - Grey Mass Incident
Huge mass of uncontrolled, self replicating and consuming nanomachinery caused by wild mutations, nanovirii and enemy spies and terrorists. Effect will be tamed once weaknesses of mutatednanovirii are discovered, it usually takes 2-6 turns.
  • -5% production
    -5% farming
    -5% mining
    -5% science
    -5% trade
    lasts for 2-6 turns

Application- Quark control coils
Nanoscale controlling devices that easily can spot, verify and eliminate unauthorised nanovirii. Also speed at nanofields by smoothing theri managment.
  • + all planets get +5 production for 5 turns
    + all planets get +10 to reasearch for 5 turns
    -adds 5% to all bonuses of nano machinery and nano farming
    -prevents grey mass incidentss from happening
Building - Nanomachine Development Testing Area
"Of course it is safe, we have total control. "
Huge laboratory to develope,research and test new nanomachines.
  • -20 farming on that planet
    -10 safety on that planet
    -5 to population on planet/turn
    +30 to science on that planet
    +5 to production on every planet in two starlanes
    +10 to production on every planet in system
    +5 to mining on every planet in two starlanes
    +10 to mining on every planet in system
    +10 to science on every planet with primary science focus
    +5 to science on every planet with secondary science focus
    +2 to science on every planet with shared pri or sec focus
    10% change of causing Grey Mass Incident - Effect to planet in two starlanes

drek
Designer Emeritus

#28 Post by drek »

miu wrote:Something to demostrate how more bonuses would look, early-mid game stuff, very unbalanced,wanted to write it down :)
Nice.

You've got the general idea.

To balance it I'd make the nanotech factories add the first +5 bonus to worlds set to balanced (and reduced the bonus to +2 maybe). I probably wouldn't assign the bonus to "all worlds"....probably all -friendly- worlds within 1 starlane hop.

The gray mass incident is a great idea for a negative. We can't use percentages in the current version....I'd have it eat 4 points off of all Current meters each turn, 1 points each turn off of current population.

For the quark control coils: can't reference the bonuses of other buildings. I'd just have it add +5 to research to all worlds in 3 or 4 starlane hops with Nanotech Factories, Mines, or Development buildings and if there's a Grey Mass within 3 or 4 starlane hops, 90% chance of destroying the Grey Mass. There's no way to remove the Grey Mass effect from the orginal buildings, but they could test for presence of a Coil within 3 or 4 starlane hops before deciding if the event occurs.

Geoff the Medio

#29 Post by Geoff the Medio »

drek wrote:We can't use percentages in the current version....
To be clear, percentage as modifications to values cannot be used, but percentages should (I think) be usable to indicate the chance that something will happen. So "10% chance of causing Grey Mass Incident" is fine, but not "-5% production".
For the quark control coils: can't reference the bonuses of other buildings.
Right. We should be very clear on this. If you want a building to prevent another building's effect from firing on a particular planet, you need to write that condition from the perspective of the building whose effect is or isn't firing.

So you can say:
Giant Burrito Factory:
-5% chance to create a Food Poisoning Event on the planet where it is located, unless there is a Well-Staffed Health Clinic building on the planet as well.

Well-Staffed Health Clinic
Gives +5 to health meter on planet on which it is located.

But you cannot say:
Giant Burrito Factory:
-5% chance to create a Food Poisoning Event on the planet where it is located

Well-Staffed Health Clinic
Gives +5 to health meter on planet on which it is located.
Prevents Food Poisoning Events from occuring on planets on which it is located.

Granted, these are different ways of expressing the same thing, but it's best to keep in mind that the game logic will probably only work in the first way. You'll have to translate anything written in the second way into the first in order for it to be used by the game (unless someone wants to write a very smart parser / building importer...)

Also:
  • adds +5 miningmax on all worlds
    adds +10 to miningmax on worlds with farming as primary focus.
    adds +5 to miningmax on worlds with farming as secondary focus.
When writing effect descriptions like these, please be very clear whether these effects should stack or not. As written, these effects would give +15 to miningmax on worlds with farming as primary focus, and +10 to mining max on worlds with farming as secondary focus. This probably was the intention in this case, but it should be pointed out so others can avoid accidentally getting unintentionally stacking bonuses.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#30 Post by drek »

Possbily an interesting "building" for late game:

A "building", that when completed, transforms the planet into an asteriod field, but grants the empire an obscene amount of minerals and money: 20,000 is in the ballpark, though we might want to make mutliple effects that test for each planet size, granting more minerals for the larger worlds. Essentially, this allows the player to kill useless/inconveint planets in exchange for a massive mineral/money infusion.

effect condition: self
set planet size to asteriod field (btw, setting a size to a asteriod field should annhilate any colony on the planet as well.)
Modify Empire Stockpile minerals 20000
Modify Empire Stockpile cash 20000

Eventually, once diplomacy is in the game, we might want add to a couple of line items to this effect:
Modify Galactic Standing -100
Add Empire Atrocity "Planet Destruction"

More ideas
*A Bug Bomb on a massive scale. A specialize "build project" meant to kill off hostile native lifeforms. Like the project above, it's a one shot. Destroys a list of native life specials within the starsystem, but also kills off some Population on each planet within the system.
Modify Galactic Standing -30
Add Empire Atrocity "Ignores Prime Directive".
Add Empire Atrocity "Cruel to Citizens". heh.

* A savings account type building. If empire money stockpile is above a certain amount, and planet set to trade focus it adds money to empire stockpile based on the planet's trade meter. Reduces trade meter, but so long as money stockpile is > certain amount the player should see a net gain.

*Total control building, like the Punishment Sphere in SMac. Reduces trade, research meters by 200 (so that they'll always be 0), happiness by 20, health by 20 but increases Security by 70 for all planets in system.