More special specials and planetary conquest

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

shawndream
Space Kraken

More special specials and planetary conquest

#1 Post by shawndream »

Monster nests are very cool, and the galactic wildlife in general has been pretty awesome (and it sounds like it gets even crazier), but it seems like planetary and system specials are otherwise a little lacking.

I think it would be good if regions of space (not just single systems) had special effects, like nebulas or subspace disturbances that increased or decreased speed, shield strength or stealth (or acted like mines). A large enough region would give flavor like the zones of space in some voyager episode, altering dynamics in the region.

Also interactive non-combat events, like a trade caravan or trading outpost, mercenary groups for hire in a system.

Also, given the extremely hefty consequences of failing to advance sensor tech mentioned in another thread, a cool tie in would be to make (and advertise) improved sensor ability uncover specials and ruins in the planets and territories you already hold. (Nothing immediatly bad so as to make sensor advances dangerous).

Existing specials and nests can be fitted with stealth also, giving plenty of fuel for a gradual sensor climb, and reason to cruise research/scout sensor ships around.

More natives should also build significant defenses, to make their territory more interesting than "hey, another race for the pokedex, sweet savings on a colony ship." Currently troops seem too cheap. It would be interesting to make troop compartments factor into the ability to capture ships in combat, and also possibly lose ships in a ground assault. (Folks mentioned a scarcity of reasons to fill internal slots, if troop compartments were made one per ship, and the ship's weapons and structure was used to combat the significantly enhanced defenders it might be more interesting).
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Hihoo
Space Kraken

Re: More special specials and planetary conquest

#2 Post by Hihoo »

More natives should also build significant defenses
I've scripted and well-tested this already for myself, GPL and all of course, should s.o. be interested. Not sure how well the AI is handling it however

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shawndream wrote:I think it would be good if ... nebulas ... increased or decreased ... shield strength or stealth...
That already happens.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#4 Post by shawndream »

I see a lot of swirlies on empty space, but don't see any changes to the shield strength of my ships or any description of what they are...

I see some odd things swirling around (and moving) in deep space sometimes, but the big swirls around empty space don't seem to do anything (and also seem to be mostly limited to a single system, one is big enough to have edges brushing adjacent systems, but as mentioned, there is no obvious effect).

AHA - I sent a fleet haring off deep into enemy space to chase a particularly large and sorta orchid cored cloud and found a "-15 Molecular Cloud" modifier on my shields way out in the outskirts!

Excellent. It'd be cool to have it add partial refueling also.

Do those nebulas in empty space do anything?
Everything I post is self-created unless noted otherwise. It is simultaneously released under GPL 2.0 or later, CC Attribution-Share Alike 3.0, and GNU Free Documentation 1.2. Make something awesome with it please!

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shawndream wrote:...any description of what they are...
Right click.
Yes.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Hihoo »

they grow/shrink appear/disappear and move for once
AND they alert you of their presence should you plan on visiting their vicinity

shawndream
Space Kraken

#7 Post by shawndream »

Aha, I see the lookup X on pedia now...

In my defense, it seems that only nebulas and Molecular clouds give that option on right click on my map (all other stars, systems, lines and fleets do nothing when right clicked).

I do think the more common nebula should have more features (and description of that), should more often extend past one system, and should show up in the rightbar when you select a system within it.

Hihoo
Space Kraken

#8 Post by Hihoo »

should show up in the rightbar when you select a system within it.
I agree some kind of additional alert would be very welcome.
you can't make out easily how far those clouds spread their pestilence. (its more than one system often enough)
checking shield-strengthes each turn with a cloud around amounts to "micromanagement"
Lost many ships due to unexpected shield-failings already

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

shawndream wrote:In my defense, it seems that only nebulas and Molecular clouds give that option on right click on my map (all other stars, systems, lines and fleets do nothing when right clicked).
Fleets in the fleets window, ships, planets, and buildings are also right-clickable. Not on the map, though. There is also an option to add a right-click popup menu when the map is clicked.

shawndream
Space Kraken

#10 Post by shawndream »

Exactly, right clicking entries in subwindows and especially the rightbar (I'm always right clicking on races to recheck their stats) is the normal rule. That's one reason I was expecting nebula info to show up in the rightbar.