Statistics screen discussion

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Statistics screen discussion

#1 Post by miu »

Continuing from turnprocess-thread. It came up that statistics and encyclopedia would be good to have browsable while waiting your turn. Encyclopedia is certainly done much later as we have our content settled. statistics-screen is 0.9-polish stuff, but I asked in admin mail-list, if you are eager with this, we could have it in 0.3.

Why I want it is that we are going to have downbar in galaxymap, and it looks empty/silly with only two(or maybe three) buttons, statistics-screen would be good add there. I dont see it difficult to code, and probaply you would enjoy having it sooner than 0.9 :)

So in detail: What kind of histographs should be shown and how they should be calculated and shown?

Simple graph per/resource/empire, just the amounts.
x-axis = time
y-axis = amounts - scaled so that everything fits.

The combined "winning" -graph, how the resources should be weighted there?
Anything else, ideas for the UI/representation?

I always hated in moo2 that when empires disappeared, their graphs disappeared too, that should not happen, progress of their graphs should just stop. Option to choose shown empires should be there as well.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

Statistics and an encyclopedia obviously ought to be in the game, perhaps added in the final polish stage.

But statistics and the enyclopedia obviosly ought be accessable at any time, not just when the player is waiting for turn processing.

Instead of adding buttons to the turn processing screen, I'd prefer to reduce that screen down to a window. The player would be able to access UI features of the main galaxy screen (though not issue any new orders), including the buttons to open stats and the help system (ie, enyclopedia).

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by miu »

drek wrote: Instead of adding buttons to the turn processing screen, I'd prefer to reduce that screen down to a window. The player would be able to access UI features of the main galaxy screen (though not issue any new orders), including the buttons to open stats and the help system (ie, enyclopedia).

- There's a good discussion about different options in turn-processing thread, and I'm still for the option with cycling/random backgroundposters with a interactive panel on top of them. - just because this allows us to show player fancy and immersive stuff that he rarely would look otherwise. I'm working on the mock-up of this.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

miu wrote:- There's a good discussion about different options in turn-processing thread
The thread in question: viewtopic.php?t=851

(replied to rest of post in that thread)

muxec
Space Kraken

#5 Post by muxec »

Graph accuracy must depend on your inteligence. More spies=better graph.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Impaler »

Thats a possible point of contention.

Is this graph based on otherwise "Hidden" information or only what your empire has legitimate in-game access too? I would hope for atleast an option for "show hidden info ON/OFF" to give purests AND cheaters alike what they want. If your using the OFF option they potentialy everything you know about another empire is questionable and based on your spies. They can run a "feign economic/military/scientific ect ect Strength/weakness" against you and mislead your estimations if they can fool your spies. The greater your degree of interaction/commerce/alliance with them the harder deception becomes.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by Aquitaine »

I wouldn't give the player wrong information. Either give them no information or give them correct information. Giving them wrong information is one of those 'realism' things that doesn't help gameplay at all, it just pisses off the player.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

how about

#8 Post by guiguibaah »

Don't give them wrong information - just show the error bars. If the true value is 6 and you have excellent information, your lower error bar will be 5.99999999 and your upper error bar is 6.0000000001.

With bad information and your true value is 6, your upper error bar could be 10.5 and your lower error bar could be 5.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.