Master List of New Native Species

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
stpa
Space Kraken

Re: Master List of New Native Species

#16 Post by stpa »

labgnome wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm ...
[*]Nightsiders: Planetbound, Great Detection, Tidally Locked Special, Organic

My hope is for this to be a collaborative project to flesh out these species and add as many of them as possible to the game. In that spirit if you want to adopt a species and flesh out a story to go with them please feel free to do so. Also I don't know how balanced all of these guys all are so this
i think i'd like to start with the nightsiders, they seem most relatable to me at the moment … i was reminded of a passage in Niven's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld right in the beginning where we get to know the hero Louis Wu, and he describes thieves and burglers ever teleporting to the planet's night side .. by the way at some point i want to see ringworlds on the FO map too … - so where was i, yep those nightsiders. hm. why planetbound, why not playable? ok then that detection range would have to be prettty great indeed to make up for the nightside disadvantage, but they would loove the starless planets.. and with some teleportation tech to always jump to the night side, anyway subterr_hab should do the trick as well. or is it maybe they need the night sky explicitly .. hm. they'd have to have good ground troups too because adapted to the dark or dug in deep. on the other hand you could blind them all with simple flash lights. supposedly. unless they'd invent the technology of sunglasses. i dont know. let me think about it some more.

anyway at the moment i am drawing a total blank on lithic creatures with no industry, sorry, – have to bash those cute and cuddly teddy-banforo's out of my head first ;) big thanks @Bestary, really made my day when i came back to FO after a 'sabbatical' ^…^

stpa
Space Kraken

#17 Post by stpa »

okay pls tell me how this looks. is not a mockup but a soon to be pullrequest. i took some public domain imagery of the first best dark figure that came to mind, so is more or less light-black on dark-black since well they are nightsiders after all ..
Attachments
nightsiders first draft.png
nightsiders first draft.png (306.82 KiB) Viewed 1834 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#18 Post by The Silent One »

I'd say leave out the image if it doesn't fit in with the ones we already have. Least would be to change the color so the image is actually visible against the grey backdrop.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

stpa
Space Kraken

#19 Post by stpa »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:52 am I'd say leave out the image if it doesn't fit in with the ones we already have. Least would be to change the color so the image is actually visible against the grey backdrop.
agreed. i've already noted that as a todo to myself with the initial commit in that pr .. maybe i'll add some reddish glow around the contours, or hope that @Bestary takes a crack at it later, was just ment as a placeholder while still in development. with a sort of easter-eggish afterthought, since it is kind of visible when you crank up the screen's brightness to the max

stpa
Space Kraken

#20 Post by stpa »

stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:14 am
The Silent One wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:52 am I'd say leave out the image if it doesn't fit in with the ones we already have. Least would be to change the color so the image is actually visible against the grey backdrop.
agreed. i've already noted that as a todo to myself with the initial commit in that pr .. maybe i'll add some reddish glow around the contours, or hope that @Bestary takes a crack at it later, was just ment as a placeholder while still in development. with a sort of easter-eggish afterthought, since it is kind of visible when you crank up the screen's brightness to the max
after a short thought, i'd like them to stay totally black, but i'll add some nightsky starscape backdrop so they can be seen by the absence of background

stpa
Space Kraken

#21 Post by stpa »

stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:01 am after a short thought, i'd like them to stay totally black, but i'll add some nightsky starscape backdrop so they can be seen by the absence of background
using ...
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Inf ... omplex.jpg and
https://publicdomainvectors.org/en/free ... 61770.html and
gimp for visuals
--> see attached zip archive* will all work steps in between and the finshed (for now) placeholder artwork.
should look a bit more .. visible .. at the least.

*: wont upload, is too big. i had read on another post about a special artwork repository, is where im gonna push this to when i find where it is
Attachments
nightsiders pair medium.png
nightsiders pair medium.png (59.94 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
nightsiders big picture.png
nightsiders big picture.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1806 times

stpa
Space Kraken

#22 Post by stpa »

how about i promise not do make any other species in this same thread here but start new threads for each species .. this is getting out of hand otherwise.

latest screenshot see attached. links are clickable and linked up. only thing missing is the effect to sometimes remove star or set to star type no star or whatever and in those cases not combine with tidal lock since makes little sense .. and in another thread i had the following incredibly stupid idea.

adding emphasis to the quote.
stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am
The Silent One wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:50 am So... vampires?! :lol:
stpa wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm + Haematopathic Detection: can sense nearby planets populated with organic beings.
This would translate to "blood-suffering detection" (haima = blood; pathos = suffering). Probably more like haimaesthetic detection (aesthesia = sensibility)?
kind of fitting, with the blood and the suffering and they might be susceptible to any number of blood diseases of their victim species as well .. in fact, that makes me think i'll add some monster scripting along the lines of 'Prionic Worms' (notice that its not pSionic but pRionic) which could infect some of the food-species and be transmitted and have different effects on the infected species and maybe cured with genetic_meds or whatever. even with the discussion of alternate labels for that detection trait i still think the -pathy suffix would work when clearly fleshed out alongside tele- and em-pathy .. (w.i.p. -- work in progress)
but maybe that is a little early, there are still many more species on the master list, before thinking up all their different disease monsters and what effects on what species and who eats whom and so on ..
Attachments
pedia fleshed out.png
pedia fleshed out.png (869.93 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by LienRag »

They should like the Panopticon Complex rather than dislike it, don't you think ?

stpa
Space Kraken

#24 Post by stpa »

well what can i say, your typical Nightsider likes to be left in the dark as it were, and they dont like the scanning stuff because they themselves think that they have good enough detection and prefer to be stealthy instead of scanned

The Silent One
Graphics

#25 Post by The Silent One »

Artwork doesn't fit with the rest of the species images, I think you should just omit that.
Edit: also not sure about Q/A stuff...
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

stpa
Space Kraken

#26 Post by stpa »

labgnome wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm While I would love to give a lot of time and attention to creating individual species, I feel that at this juncture we could use the variety even at the expense of detail. This is a first draft of sorts so feel free to provide feedback, especially on the details of individual species. My allocation of traits is largely random. However I did try to follow some rules, like giving each the three main metabolisms good research, industry and influence. I also divided the habitability wheel into thirds, and gave one third to primarily one of the three main metabolisms. There are also "nest tender" species for the space monsters as an idea, and a couple of species that come along with planetary specials.
i kind of enjoyed putting some effort into the Nightsiders, all that intensive thought and the abundance of creature related creativity, makes them really feel a little like my adoptees. thanks for offering this road map, t'is a long and winding journy for sure until we get to that rich galactic ecology.. i had some nebulous yearning for more diversity as well and lets see where that will go.
labgnome wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm Tundra:
  • Sleeper: Planetbound, Bad Population, Good Industry, Eccentric Orbit Special, Organic
[...]
My hope is for this to be a collaborative project to flesh out these species and add as many of them as possible to the game. In that spirit if you want to adopt a species and flesh out a story to go with them please feel free to do so. Also I don't know how balanced all of these guys all are so this
yeah again thanks for the invitation. and in the spirit of productive cooperation, i think i'll take the first feedback (the day after their birth into our fo world(s)) to heart and contrast the dark and humorous Nightsiders with something brighter and more dull. Sleepers ahoy! new thread coming up soon..

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#27 Post by LienRag »

stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:58 pm well what can i say, your typical Nightsider likes to be left in the dark as it were, and they dont like the scanning stuff because they themselves think that they have good enough detection and prefer to be stealthy instead of scanned
Good enough, I admit.

stpa
Space Kraken

#28 Post by stpa »

LienRag wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 pm Maybe we can ask Bestiary or other graphical artists if they have visual concepts that we could work from to elaborate a really original background for new species, and then choose traits accordingly ?
i.m.h.op., you got it all backwards there – i can no longer freely think up some species details when there already is a picture to force some narrowed down perspective one the beholder .. don't get me wrong i really looove bestary's work there, but .. see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_picture ... sand_words - is just more sensible to have the written story first and then add pictures afterwards

edit: just like they usually produce a movie from the book and not the other way round - at least in most cases.

edit again; that is what has kept me from tackling the trenchers up to now, since they already have that great artwork it is yea nigh impossible for me to come up with a story that fits that depiction

stpa
Space Kraken

#29 Post by stpa »

wobbly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 am Tangent: I had a different idea for 57s balance. Add fluff line "57s do not build war machines instead relying on domesticed space monsters for defense" and add a random system compatable organic monster or nest. Not certain whether you can call the monster rng from FOCs
@wobbly, there are some nest tender species ideas in the very beginning of this thread here, and i was going to make up some new species for the job. this of course does not meen that you could not do the same, or change the fiftyseveners.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by wobbly »

stpa wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:19 pm
wobbly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:14 am Tangent: I had a different idea for 57s balance. Add fluff line "57s do not build war machines instead relying on domesticed space monsters for defense" and add a random system compatable organic monster or nest. Not certain whether you can call the monster rng from FOCs
@wobbly, there are some nest tender species ideas in the very beginning of this thread here, and i was going to make up some new species for the job. this of course does not meen that you could not do the same, or change the fiftyseveners.
I like the idea of there being a native that uses monsters. Doesn't have to be the 57ers. If you create a new native(s) in that role I'll find something else for the 57ers.