species #3 from the master list - Khakturian

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
stpa
Space Kraken

species #3 from the master list - Khakturian

#1 Post by stpa »

labgnome wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm
Desert:
  • Khakturian: Planetbound, Great Attack Troops, Great Defense Troops, Phototrophic
My hope is for this to be a collaborative project to flesh out these species and add as many of them as possible to the game. In that spirit if you want to adopt a species and flesh out a story to go with them please feel free to do so. Also I don't know how balanced all of these guys all are so this
i'll make some prickly bushes or some such .. they can shoot their thorns maybe venomous and maybe do like some bird species who come to pollinate or whatnot with the flowers and the bees thingy

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: species #3 from the master list - Khakturian

#2 Post by Oberlus »

stpa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm come to pollinate or whatnot with the flowers and the bees
In China Mieville's Perdido Street Station, there's a cactus species:
https://baslag.fandom.com/wiki/Cactacae
For reproduction, male cactus jerk off over the bulbs that the females plant in the ground.

stpa
Space Kraken

#3 Post by stpa »

:oops: whee i was more thinking along the lines of that singing and talking shrubbery person from whats the title i forgot ... or maybe more like the humble tumbleweed but less humble but more formidable since that is already a picture of a species many know can move around, hard to explain otherwise the good groundtroops, wlll drop our prickly seedlings on your world#s ground and you wont wanna share that piece of ground with them they are so prickly if their sessile but then why have offensive troops so needs to have some mobility ... yeah some sort of thundering tumbleweed like khakturiopolis

.. anyway, should there be adult content optionally clickable? like, if you are over 18 or whatever the legal age on your side of the world then click here and get to read about the sexual habbits of all those species … nah maybe much later when they also all get their venerial disease monster fleets

edit;

invasive weed species .. herbicide resistant ..
Last edited by stpa on Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew it was worth mentioning.

stpa
Space Kraken

#5 Post by stpa »

i'll base the placeholder-icon on https://publicdomainvectors.org/en/free ... 61420.html and i put them in the same pull request as the other two species.

stpa
Space Kraken

#6 Post by stpa »

first draft. see screenshot attached. to be fleshed out lots more. i'd like to make them at least a little bit funny if that is permitted. and the little ones wont need their parents permission to make first contact with them ... (edit: wont somebody please think of the children – as reverend lovejoy's wife liked to say in the simpsons...)

'''
Prickly bushlike shrubs. Invasive weed, herbicide resistant.
Shoots poisonous thorns when in sessile stage, also has formidable tumbleweed-like offshoots for reproduction.
Phototrophic Metabolism

− Bad Industry: 75%
− Bad Research: 75%
− Bad Influence: 75%
+ Good Stockpile Distribution: +0.06 per Population
− Bad Population: 75%
++ Great Offensive Ground Troops: 200%
++ Great Defensive Ground Troops: 200%
−− Narrow Planet Tolerance: flourishes on fewer types.

Can Produce Ships
Cannot Colonize Planets

Default Focus: Industry

Dislikes: Etty, Lembala'Lam, Mu Ursh, Nymnmn

Environment Preferences:
Swamp : Hostile
Toxic : Hostile
Inferno : Hostile
Radiated : Hostile
Barren : Hostile
Tundra : Poor
Desert : Good
Terran : Poor
Ocean : Hostile

Asteroids : Uninhabitable
Gas Giant : Uninhabitable

Homeworld:
Henderson II

Occupied Planets
Henderson II

As invasive weed species go, this is a pretty stubborn one and hard to eradicate.

Lifecycle:
Can be grown from seeds (import restrictions are in place in many systems, the local Imperial Regional Administration should be consulted before starting a plantation). No stratification required. After an initial watering in, they are drought tolerant, herbicide resistant and thrive in the dry desert sands by pulling moisture out of the atmosphere.
'''
Attachments
khakturian first draft.png
khakturian first draft.png (116.51 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

stpa
Space Kraken

#7 Post by stpa »

picture stayed the same. the idea for them is to be good troopers but not much else. final text from pedia:

Spiky and hardy. Biennial invasive weed, herbicide resistant.
Shoots poisonous abrasive thorns when in early sessile stage, later forms formidable tumbleweed-like offshoots for reproduction.
Phototrophic Metabolism

− Bad Industry: 75%
−−− No Research
− Bad Influence: 75%
+ Good Stockpile Distribution: +0.06 per Population
− Bad Population: 75%
++ Great Offensive Ground Troops: 200%
++ Great Defensive Ground Troops: 200%
−− Narrow Planet Tolerance: flourishes on fewer types.

Can Produce Ships
Cannot Colonize Planets

Default Focus: Growth

Likes: Interstellar Lighthouse, Growth, Protection, Head on a Spike, Population, Tidally Locked Rotation

Dislikes: Cloud Spawns, High Cloud Cover, No Growth, Etty, Lembala'Lam, Mu Ursh, Nymnmn, Hidden Burrowers, Volcanic Ash, World Tree

Environment Preferences:
Swamp : Hostile
Toxic : Hostile
Inferno : Hostile
Radiated : Hostile
Barren : Hostile
Tundra : Poor
Desert : Good
Terran : Poor
Ocean : Hostile

Asteroids : Uninhabitable
Gas Giant : Uninhabitable

Homeworld:
Unknown Planet

As invasive weed species go, this is a pretty stubborn one and hard to eradicate. When they plant their seedling-troopers into an enemy-world's ground, noone wants to share that piece of ground with them anymore, so obtrusive and obnoxious are they.

Lifecycle:
Can be grown from seeds (import restrictions are in place in many systems, the local Imperial Regional Administration should be consulted before starting a plantation). No stratification required. After an initial watering in, they are drought tolerant, herbicide resistant and thrive in the dry desert sands by pulling moisture out of the atmosphere.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

It's not clear that Liking or Disliking other Species will be implemented, actually.

Also, if you're putting non-yet-implemented characteristics in your Species description, you could use the Traits that have been devised there ?
(grep for the word "trait" I guess)

stpa
Space Kraken

#9 Post by stpa »

searching for 'trait' and oh yes i found a few ..

> if you're putting non-yet-implemented characteristics in your Species description

if that refers to the growing from seeds part?, that was just ment to be an as dry and clinical (or botanical) a description as i could manage - maybe i should reword that a bit with a disclaimer they cant be actually grown. there is a little more incomplete-fluff in the likes/dislikes comments for more texting.

i could remove those species likes/dislikes or comment them out, but i think it looks quite nicely in the pedia

apart from some formatting issues .. the top likes and dislikes should be hyperlinked as well which is lacking now but at least, they, all, have, a, good, comma, between, the words, while the lower part with the (dis)liked by species is hyperlinked but not comma separated. i think i'll put an improvement proposal in the pullrequest for species #4

... but pls don't expect me to read all those hits on 'trait's ^^, i'll skim through somewhat for sure, but there's quite a lot there
Attachments
quite a few ....png
quite a few ....png (17.68 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by LienRag »

Not sure if research are linkable, but by restricting to "forum titles only" I find only 21 results.

You are free to read any number of them you want.

stpa
Space Kraken

#11 Post by stpa »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 pm It's not clear that Liking or Disliking other Species will be implemented, actually.
i was encouraged to totally remove not just uncomment such species-dislikes. understandably when it goes against previous design decisions i knew nothing about. but some other cases than systematic hate of same-habitat species will stay in. can be commented out more easily in the new species files where each like or dislike is on its own line of code, most with accompanying motivational comments, so changes in the likes are better mergeable than when all those stand in one long line together..
LienRag wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:00 pm if you're putting non-yet-implemented characteristics in your Species description
yes i've started some. the thenian suffer from periodic dieoffs with sitrep message to announce that once they are conquored and it occurs again. and the khakturian are now exempt from the worldree effects. and i'll look around if i can find issue tickets or other proposed traits along to try and do smth about-

honestly though, why ever put a feature in if there is no content with it. and why ever put conent in when there is no feature for it. seems like a logical spiral down into a black whole in a manner of speaking -- so, there is that pedia feature to generically list 'species that (dis)like' on every sort of pedia-viable item, but on species no effect yet. how about i come up with an effect then? like, say, if they cohabit the same system and like each other, then they get a +1.0 happie smilie or when they dislike the opposite?

stpa
Space Kraken

#12 Post by stpa »

i am adding a derelict4 special that grants a free small troop ship with khakturian seedlings, with the very low spawnrate of 0.02, as compared to the 0.5 spawnrate of free fuel tankers drifting in space. still in the same nightsiders-pr. see screenshot attached.

i still can not get the created ship to be owned by the player, it always is a rogue fleet. anyway thats it for tonight.
Attachments
derelict trooper unowned#.png
derelict trooper unowned#.png (474.51 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

stpa
Space Kraken

#13 Post by stpa »

correction. finally works. "Target.Owner" did the trick. adjusting spawn rate down from testing-high-level to "production" low-level. spawnrate 0.02, limit 12 on the map.
Attachments
derelict trooper owned at last.png
derelict trooper owned at last.png (390.95 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by LienRag »

Interesting, but what's the point ?
Small troop ships will not replace the invaded planet's population by Khakturians, you know that ?

In the early game being able to invade poorly defended planets with bonus troops can be useful (though maybe too much of a game-changer based only on a luck factor), apart from these quite rare situations I'm not sure it has any use.

Since you mentioned a Species which dies by itself, it may actually be interesting to have a Species whose outshoots can be found randomly (like from a "monster nest") and who colonizes planets for a limited duration (but they should not leave outposts, else it's just a way to outpost a planet for free).

Hard to balance though.

Obviously, another way would be to have Khakturians (and only them) actually replace the invaded planet's population; I don't know if the backend allows that though.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

stpa, nice work, I like all the new species and effects you are implemented. Thank you.
Particularly, I like the Khakturians troopship spawn thingy. It will be cool to accelerate conquering of other natives.