species #4 from the master list - Celestephyte

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
stpa
Space Kraken

Re: species #4 from the master list - Celestephyte

#16 Post by stpa »

i do not dare expose an opinion about the whole structure or quantity of the likes and dislikes as of yet, but having seen a couple youtubers talk about how they play fo for the first (couple of) time(s) – the pedia is one of the most cited positive features and i thought there was just some room little improvements to make it even better than it is already

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#17 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:57 pm It's an issue to be solved with better UI or,
It's a structural issue with the system of likes/dislikes or,
Species likes/dislikes should be kept to short and simple lists of a few/species or,
something else.
Best solution is: likes/dislikes should be minimal - also for mind-load

spreading likes/dislikes to different items helps the UI (like your mimetic alloy example) - we could have a warning or a sorted list of how often something is liked/disliked.

Maybe also some like/dislike support in the object window (e.g. list all objects dis/liking mimetic alloy).

Else only grouping of such likes/dislikes would work but we have no such strict categories or automatic deduction (made up example: gas giant generators are disliked by all gaseous species, with the single exception of the Farz species).
Without such categories we need to list all instances.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

stpa
Space Kraken

#18 Post by stpa »

> Best solution is: likes/dislikes should be minimal - also for mind-load

i tried to play as laenfa, and they do seem to like a lot of policies for sure, but somehow i could not get them to be happy. ten settled worlds, all focussed on influence, and still i got civic unrest and only the homeworld got any stability bonusses. the whole likes and dislikes thing is still pretty new to me, and seems like it is not yet really finalized, and that 10.0 stability minimum for all the good tech effects seems waaay to high, or i just didnt hit on the right strategy yet..

with these new species, i tried to keep the likes and dislikes to a bare minimum, only motivated by the species'es background stories.