The Trith

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 pm
Location: Orion

Re: The Trith

#106 Post by Bigjoe5 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:01 pm

While the Trith can learn to keep their own thoughts to themselves, they are unable to tune out the thoughts of others.
Since they can dampen their own neural fields as soon as they are generated, there is no opportunity for a massive build-up resulting in an electromagnetic "sonic boom", thus, starlane travel doesn't increase the difficulty of masking their own thoughts. If a group of rogue Trith decided not to mask their thoughts while in a starlane however, the effects could be devastating to the Trith population...
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

User avatar
MikkoM
Space Dragon
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: Finland

Re: The Trith

#107 Post by MikkoM » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 pm

mZhura wrote:
MikkoM wrote:Thus we can probably assume that there isn`t a quick fix available for this problem.
or they just don't want to look for it? civilization that developed interstellar travel couldn't protect itself from simple and weak electro-magnetic field?


Well, I am not saying that being a bit stupid is forbidden from advanced civilizations, but it certainly doesn’t help when your objective is to kill every thinking creature living in the galaxy. To achieve their goal the Trith will probably have to risk the lives of every member of their species, and use considerable amounts of resources to build warships and to research military technology. And if they are prepared to do all of this, even though there could be a quick fix available to their problem, they are in my opinion, either a bit stupid or just crazy.

User avatar
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:52 pm

Re: The Trith

#108 Post by Krikkitone » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:17 pm

MikkoM wrote:
mZhura wrote:
MikkoM wrote:Thus we can probably assume that there isn`t a quick fix available for this problem.
or they just don't want to look for it? civilization that developed interstellar travel couldn't protect itself from simple and weak electro-magnetic field?


Well, I am not saying that being a bit stupid is forbidden from advanced civilizations, but it certainly doesn’t help when your objective is to kill every thinking creature living in the galaxy. To achieve their goal the Trith will probably have to risk the lives of every member of their species, and use considerable amounts of resources to build warships and to research military technology. And if they are prepared to do all of this, even though there could be a quick fix available to their problem, they are in my opinion, either a bit stupid or just crazy.


The above is based on the idea that telepathy is based on electromagnetic fields... This totally precludes telepathy from being involved with species that Don't use electrical or magnetic means of processing information, and also raises issues as above.

If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types. The Trith would have a very unusual type (probably similar in some ways to George's) in that it travels interstellar distances at apparently FTL speeds. This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)

mZhura
Space Kraken
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Moskow, RU

Re: The Trith

#109 Post by mZhura » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:41 pm

Krikkitone wrote:If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types.
yes, but the Trith may be influenced by just one type - that which corresponds with their own type
Krikkitone wrote:This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)
yes it can. that mechanism involved space-time continuum bending through extra dimensions. read this article for example: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/Sci ... ns-en.html

User avatar
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:52 pm

Re: The Trith

#110 Post by Krikkitone » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:56 pm

mZhura wrote:
Krikkitone wrote:If there is "telepathy" in the game, more than likely there would be several types.
yes, but the Trith may be influenced by just one type - that which corresponds with their own type
Krikkitone wrote:This implies that there is some physics at work that is not explainable by 21st century earth science (as there is in the fundamental travel mechanism in the game)
yes it can. that mechanism involved space-time continuum bending through extra dimensions. read this article for example: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/Sci ... ns-en.html


And currently there is no way of explaining how the human (or any other species) brain would do that. That is more of what I meant.

And there is no reason why a 'telepathy' would require both sender and receiver to have 'brains' that work in similar ways. There would just have to be some effect of one that the other could pick up (indeed there's no reason a species couldn't be capable of telepathically receiving from/sending to other species 'brains', but not to their Own species.)

mZhura
Space Kraken
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 am
Location: Moskow, RU

Re: The Trith

#111 Post by mZhura » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:42 pm

so you prefer to describe telepathy as some "mystery beyond understanding". but still we have "psi corps" in our research :lol:

User avatar
Krikkitone
Creative Contributor
Posts: 1414
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:52 pm

Re: The Trith

#112 Post by Krikkitone » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 am

mZhura wrote:so you prefer to describe telepathy as some "mystery beyond understanding". but still we have "psi corps" in our research :lol:


everything in our research is a "mystery beyond understanding"... because that allows us to make up whatever rules/technobabble we want with it.

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: The Trith

#113 Post by pd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:20 pm

Some fighter/bomber concepts
Image

User avatar
Josh
Graphics
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:49 am
Location: California, USA

Re: The Trith

#114 Post by Josh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:33 pm

The upper left and lower right ones seem to be most trith like, but for some reason they are brighter and shinier than before, and lack the signature energy cores. Have you discarded the dull, bluish matte quality they used to have?

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: The Trith

#115 Post by pd » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Those are really tiny compared to even a small hull, so no energy core. I imagine those tiny crafts as drones and maybe even controlled by telekinesis by the carrier ship's core(s).

The bottom right one is my favourite, especially considered as a fighter. The first one could perhaps be a bomber then.

Have you discarded the dull, bluish matte quality they used to have?

Not intentionally, maybe it's the white background? :)

User avatar
Josh
Graphics
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:49 am
Location: California, USA

Re: The Trith

#116 Post by Josh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Haha, maybe.

Obviously the very small fighters are built differently from starships, but the way I've come to understand trith architecture in general is that they like decorative glyphs (or maybe they are not decorative at all?), darker colors, and pointy structures. (and exposed energy cores of course)

I respect the desire not to use energy cores in this case though, but if you did want to experiment a bit, you could add more glyphs or pointy structures.

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: The Trith

#117 Post by pd » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:02 pm

Portrait, could actually be used in-game, when selecting the player/enemy races

Image

User avatar
OndrejR
Space Dragon
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Slovakia

Re: The Trith

#118 Post by OndrejR » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:09 pm

magnificent

User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

Re: The Trith

#119 Post by pd » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Haha, thanks OndrejR!

weaz
Krill Swarm
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:04 am

Re: The Trith

#120 Post by weaz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:18 am

marvelous.
I would keep the ships ... all of them
Also for the trith screen picture I would suggest that the background of this image be refined, but the actual trith be kept in a brush style, this way gives more stylish aspect (although needs a bit more work around the eyes), I for one look for such things in a game. And if this line of things goes, perhaps all races main screen can be drawn this way because there is too much 3D in games these days and no art.

Post Reply