Potential GiGi replacements: Godot

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Potential GiGi replacements: Godot

#106 Post by LienRag »

Not sure if that can be of interest to anybody : https://mastodon.technology/@houkimenat ... 7402775121
I didn't understand whether the guy is Ukrainian or Russian, but he seems nice.

Re-reading his post now that I'm linking it, I'm not even sure that he would be interested in contract work (would some source of funding be available), actually.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#107 Post by Vezzra »

LienRag wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:08 pm(would some source of funding be available)
Not what would be required to hire anyone for a reasonable length of time (AFAIK).

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#108 Post by LienRag »

Vezzra wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:36 pm
LienRag wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:08 pm(would some source of funding be available)
Not what would be required to hire anyone for a reasonable length of time (AFAIK).
He wrote an update recently so your definition of "reasonable length of time" may differ from his : https://mastodon.technology/@houkimenat ... 4630989853

Also it made it clear that he is actually very much in need of contract work, not necessarily full-time employment.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#109 Post by Vezzra »

Well, IIRC, our total funds are about a couple hundred bucks - so even if someone was willing to work for as little as 5-10$/h, the amount of programming work that could get done is quite limited. And for that we would have to spent most of our meager funds.

That doesn't strike me as particularly effective... but it's actually Geoff who manages these founds, so he is the one knowing how much exactly we have at our disposal. He is also the one who decides on what to spend this money, so he is the one to answer your enquiry - Geoff?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#110 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'd rather keep donated money for hosting / DNS purposes. It might help if there was a specific suggestion for what someone would be paid to do, though. But I'm also wary of attempting to set up contract work as I'm not familiar with any relevant legal issues that could involve.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#111 Post by LienRag »

As of now, who has experience/skill in Godot ?
I found this tutorial very good but now that I'm trying to implement the ideas I have, I get painfully aware of how much I still don't know...

o01eg
Programmer

#112 Post by o01eg »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:37 pm As of now, who has experience/skill in Godot ?
I found this tutorial very good but now that I'm trying to implement the ideas I have, I get painfully aware of how much I still don't know...
Most of Godot code was written by Vezzra and I glued it to FreeOrion C++ code and add chat and connection windows. Other than that we don't have much experience in Godot.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#113 Post by Vezzra »

I might have written most of the currrent Godot code, but that actually doesn't mean much. I can only be considered a beginner, what I did to get into Godot was to work through the official documentation.

I'm most likely not better at Godot than you... ;)