Resources to get started?

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

UnifiedStars
Space Floater

Resources to get started?

#1 Post by UnifiedStars »

I've been following this project on and off for years, and recently my post secondary education has lead me to studying comp-sci. I'm interested in contributing, though I realize that my knowledge is very far behind to be of use. I've only learned some python, java, and c so far, and dabbled in other topics.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some guidance on topics that I should read up on, whether that is programming or design related.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Resources to get started?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

That's a rather broad question....

If you want to contribute code to the game engine, then learning C++ would be helpful. For AI, Python is used. In either case, finding a feature or bug you want to address or that someone else requested or reported and that seems interesting, and trying to figure out how to address it is a reasonable way to start. Starting small and approaxhable is probably best.

If you have ideas for content or game mechanics, as long as they aren't too ambitious, post a design discussion thread and/or try implementing it.

There are years of old discussions on the forums that are too extensive to read all of before starting, I think. But you could look over some of the more recent active threads.

Most important is probably figuring out what interests you and would stay interesting enough to keep you motivated to contribute.

UnifiedStars
Space Floater

Re: Resources to get started?

#3 Post by UnifiedStars »

Sounds good, I might start with making some other smaller projects focused on learning/implementing a specific feature of the language and build up my knowledge from there. Also spending some time to read through the code and understand how it works would probably be a good idea.