Introduction - Ted Bullock

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

tbullock
Space Floater

Introduction - Ted Bullock

#1 Post by tbullock »

Hello,

My name is Ted Bullock. Presently I am software engineering intern working at Nortel generating Metrics for the Release Management Team in CDMA R&D. Having been a great fan of Master of Orion II and having recently discovered the existence of this project I have decided to make a contribution of my skills and knowledge to its development.

In previous incarnations I have worked on the Linux from Scratch project as well as a Quake 2 modification called Resurgence. Recently I have been working on a personal Doom 3 project that will probably never see the light of day because there is only so much of me to go around. I am fluent in C as well as Object Oriented C++; strangely I am also familiar with Visual Basic for Applications, however this is no fault of mine!

Anyways, I have a lot of training in formal software engineering; ranging from Requirements and Architectural Analysis & Design all the way through to trying to hack out an FTP program at 4:00 AM in time to hand it in at 8:00 AM the same day.

My most recent cool personal project was using the Linux from Scratch book to build a complete Linux OS (running kernel 2.6.13) for a 386DX with 16 MB of RAM. Currently it is running APACHE, SSH, FTP and SAMBA for my local network. The web server can be reached at http://myvpn.game-host.org although there isn't too much to see there. From this I wrote quite a long hint/howto on the topic of cross-compiling across different x86 architectures (for instance from i686-64 to vanilla i386).

Although I like and use Linux in my home environment I am quite tied down to the Windows platform. My recent investment in Visual Studio 2005 has got me recompiling all sorts of tools and fun programs like notepad2 and the flurry screensaver just for kicks. I really like this version of the Developer Studio and I will be using it to write my contributions to this project. I am also a CorelDRAW aficionado, and as such, I am currently making my first contribution to the FreeOrion Project with it.

This document (in pdf format) is the first fraction of my contribution to the project. Essentially this is a step-by-step graphical howto on setting up the FreeOrion workspace in Visual Studio. Presently I have only created about 20 pages on the topic but this should grow substantially in time and will eventually cover the entire process somebody would need to go through to configure Visual Studio to build every piece of source code in the dependency map of FreeOrion. This is by no means remotely complete by the way.

Anyways, that's me.

Hi!

-Ted Bullock

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

Welcome Ted!

I thing your doc is a good idea. It's quite difficult getting fo to build.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

Wow, thanks Ted. Looks helpful! I'll certainly use it myself...

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

Welcome to the project Ted. It will be great having your contributions. Feel free to add notes to the wiki as well.