Zoom on MouseWheel() centered on cursor location

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Flatline
Space Squid

Zoom on MouseWheel() centered on cursor location

#1 Post by Flatline »

As suggested in http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Prog ... map_screen , I did a quick patch. Just change your MapWnd::MouseWheel function with:

Code: Select all

void MapWnd::MouseWheel(const GG::Pt& pt, int move, GG::Flags<GG::ModKey> mod_keys)
{
   if ( ( m_zoom_factor!=s_max_scale_factor || move < 0) && (m_zoom_factor!=s_min_scale_factor || move > 0) ) { 
      std::pair<double, double> move_to = UniversePositionFromScreenCoords(pt);
      CenterOnMapCoord(move_to.first,move_to.second);
      Zoom(move);
   }
}
While at max zoom in/out more rotating of the wheel in/out isn't counted (i.e. the map won't center on the cursor location just by keep on rotating the wheel in the same direction): I tried it (just by adding lines 4-5 to the if in the MouseWheel() function on SVN), and it felt a bit... strange, so I put in the extra check.

Easy isn't it? ;)

Anyway, with these large steps in zoom variation using the wheel feels a little too "jumpy"... could we just turn down a little bit the step?

And perhaps we should code a more gentle movement between the various zoom factors (like what a real camera would do).
The only difference between a suicide and a martyrdom is press coverage.
- Chuck Palahniuk (Survivor)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo [email protected] with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Zoom on MouseWheel() centered on cursor location

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Instead of duplicating all the zoom range checks that are already in MapWnd::Zoom, and instead of recentering the view immediately before zooming which recentres it again anyway, it would be better to make MapWnd::Zoom take the screen coords or world coords and do the recentring in one step, and leave MapWnd::MouseWheel as simple as it was before.

Flatline
Space Squid

#3 Post by Flatline »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Instead of duplicating all the zoom range checks that are already in MapWnd::Zoom, and instead of recentering the view immediately before zooming which recentres it again anyway, it would be better to make MapWnd::Zoom take the screen coords or world coords and do the recentring in one step, and leave MapWnd::MouseWheel as simple as it was before.
Ok, this afternoon I'll work on it ;)

Ubuntu 7.10/Windows Vista/Windows XP (VMWare)/Windows NT 4 (VMWare) on Intel Centrino Duo [email protected] with NVidia GeForce GO 7600

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by tzlaine »

Things aren't so simple. I've implemented a "zoom-panning" mousewheel scheme for something atr work, and you have to track the original location, not just the current location of the mouse. Otherwise, where you zoom to changes as you move the mouse, which looks awful. In short, don't worry about this one, since it's on my TODO list, and the code is written.

Flatline
Space Squid

#5 Post by Flatline »

tzlaine wrote:Things aren't so simple. I've implemented a "zoom-panning" mousewheel scheme for something atr work, and you have to track the original location, not just the current location of the mouse. Otherwise, where you zoom to changes as you move the mouse, which looks awful. In short, don't worry about this one, since it's on my TODO list, and the code is written.
Eheheh I just arrived home, so you stopped me in time, thanks :mrgreen:

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by eleazar »

On a remotely related topic,
has anyone noticed that when scrolling, the background parallax stars jump around in an irrelevant manner?

I don't think a zoom should cause them to move at all, relative to the screen.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by pd »

This has to do with the fact, that they don't zoom at all and work the same on all zoom steps. It doesn't bother me, since zooming isn't continuous, though.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by eleazar »

pd wrote:This has to do with the fact, that they don't zoom at all...
I know the background stars don't zoom— nor should they. I don't see what that has to do with the background jerking when you scroll.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by pd »

The background tiles always start at the top left corner of the map. Depending on the zoom step, a different crop of this area is visible, which might seem like jerking sometimes. Or are we talking about 2 different things maybe?