Debian packets

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

cazfi
Space Floater

Debian packets

#1 Post by cazfi »

I've managed to build .deb packets for Ubuntu Karmic Koala of freeorion and all its dependencies. In practice this means self made deb packaging for bullet, GiGi and freeorion, and building binary ogre-plugins-cgprogrammanager package.

Bullet packages and ogre-plugins-cgprogrammanager can already be found from http://www.cazfi.net/deb/

I've just got the very first versions of GiGi and FreeOrion packages built and they are not yet available anywhere. Actually, I don't know yet how to make them available as they, with the requirement that full source (as opposed to just diff) is made available too, would take quite a lot of server space.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Debian packets

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does "made available" mean the source has to be downloadable in the same package or from the same server? All the FreeOrion and GiGi source code is available from sourceforge already...

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#3 Post by OndrejR »

If you mean upload packages to ubuntu or debian, then deb-src packages are required.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you exclude the art, sound and music, and compress the source code files, it should be significantly smaller than the 150 MB or so full SVN checkout (if I recall correctly...).

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#5 Post by OndrejR »

Debian packager wrote:*it requires specific graphics cards, failing badly if they are not
present, with a segfault rather than proper error handling

*it requires Nvidia's CG Toolkit -- non-free
non-distributable. The upstream is in love in that piece of crock, and
declares it is and should be mandatory.

*For nicer arguments, you could mention that it stops portability to anything
but Windows/Linux i386/amd64(because of Nvidia Cg toolkit for 3D) -- while any new platform these days is on arm.
And that an absolute dependency on fancy 3D texture shaders for a 2D
interface is pretty weird...

source: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=593339
Because of Cg dependency FreeOrion would be categorized into non-free software. Currently FreeOrion is not dependent on 3D combat, but for 0.4 it would be.

For 3D shaders there is option GLSL, Nvidia Cg and HLSL.
Question: Why FreeOrion doesn't use GLSL for shaders(OpenGL)?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OndrejR wrote:Because of Cg dependency FreeOrion would be categorized into non-free software. Currently FreeOrion is not dependent on 3D combat, but for 0.4 it would be.

For 3D shaders there is option GLSL, Nvidia Cg and HLSL.
Question: Why FreeOrion doesn't use GLSL for shaders(OpenGL)?
FreeOrion does use GLSL shaders for any code / graphics / materials etc. that we create.

The Cg dependency comes from the PagedGeometry code.

Edit: However, it appears that newer versions can use GLSL, so we can probably get rid of the Cg dependency.

Edit2: I believe I've removed the Cg dependency. At least on Windows the tech demo is working without those dlls present, and without the Cg plugin in ogre_plugins.cfg. Presumably Linux / OSX should work just the same without the equivalent libraries present.