Code Tests

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderators: Committer, Committer

Marijn
Space Squid

Code Tests

#1 Post by Marijn » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:27 pm

In the documentation on the site a rather strict code testing and peer review procedure is described. Is this still being followed? I must say that I am all in favor of these things, since they really do save time on the long run, but in my experience most loosely-bound online volunteer teams are kind of lax with them. Related to this, I have seen some people go "hey I would like to help out as a programmer! i started learning c++ last week!". Enthousiasm is always great, but are such people allowed to commit stuff to the codebase or is there a trusted/untrusted programmer system?

(Just looking around to make sure I do not jump into a swamp of really bad code if I decide to get involved.)

Marijn

noelte
Juggernaut

Re: Code Tests

#2 Post by noelte » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:14 pm

Marijn wrote:In the documentation on the site a rather strict code testing and peer review procedure is described. Is this still being followed?
I can only speak for myself. I don't follow it by the line. I >look< on the code and try to get through all possibilities. I know there are people who try to proof that the code is correct (i learned it too), but i don't think we will get far this way. An experienced programmer should have the ability to produce good code.
Marijn wrote:I must say that I am all in favor of these things, since they really do save time on the long run, but in my experience most loosely-bound online volunteer teams are kind of lax with them. Related to this, I have seen some people go "hey I would like to help out as a programmer! i started learning c++ last week!". Enthousiasm is always great, but are such people allowed to commit stuff to the codebase or is there a trusted/untrusted programmer system?
I had the same fear and i already fixed a bunch of bugs, but i think bugs can't be completely avoided. People which >started learning c++< will have a tough time getting into it. :wink: And tzlaine will always have a look.
Marijn wrote:(Just looking around to make sure I do not jump into a swamp of really bad code if I decide to get involved.)
Marijn
Although i don't agree with some code design decisions it works well. I don't think you will find bad code. :wink:

Ronald.

Marijn
Space Squid

#3 Post by Marijn » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:22 am

I can live with most of your reply except for:
An experienced programmer should have the ability to produce good code.
Firstly, even experienced programmers make mistakes (big mistakes too), secondly, we are dealing with both experienced and inexperienced programmers here. I do not think quality control should ever be brushed aside with a 'mistakes should not happen' kind of argument. Mistakes always happen.

noelte
Juggernaut

#4 Post by noelte » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:12 am

Yes, mistakes always happen. I'm only saying applying a intense code test is not very practical. If it comes to me i already got many useful suggestions regarding my checkins. I think no code goes into source base without someone else would have a look.

Maybe another member of the programming group should have a look if someone makes a checkin (somekind of code review)!?

Ronald.

Got my promotion (50.)! :wink:

Marijn
Space Squid

#5 Post by Marijn » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:38 am

Allright. You are correct about intense reviews being not practical, they are too hard when the developers are scattered all over the globe. The fact that at least one other person looks over new source sound great.

Almkaz
Space Floater

#6 Post by Almkaz » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:13 pm

As far as the quality of code is concerned, I cannot speak for other open source projects since this is my first, but I have been on many commercial projects in my career and I am so far happy with the code. I find both the readability and design do not adversely effect my ability to contribute to the project. Now, that being said, it's fairly new and not much code has been written ( compared to what the final game would have ).

As far as code reviews, I find in practice having one person review new code works wonders. In the past Zach has been exceptional at this - but maybe we should rotate the job to others to share the load...

Andrew

Marijn
Space Squid

#7 Post by Marijn » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:49 am

I am available as a code reviewer if one is needed. I know C++ inside out and I am working on understanding the workings of the current codebase.