Contributing

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

wodencafe
Space Krill

Contributing

#1 Post by wodencafe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Hello, I would like to sign up to contribute to the FreeOrion project.

I am a developer by trade, experienced in C++ and a lot of other similar languages.
I used to play the Moo and Galciv games a long time ago, and it sounds silly but those were some of the best times of my life.
Sins of a Solar Empire was fun but nothing can compare to the old school games.
I also have some experience in sound and graphics work (Flyers, Logos, Banners, etc), and am a big proponent of FOSS.

This may not be the right place to have posted my informal resume, but could someone point me in the right direction as to how/where to get started?

Thank you!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Contributing

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Moved your post to a new thread in programming, which seems like a more appropriate place than a thread discussing recruitment posts.

As for how to get started programming, you'll first want to get the source and compile it. There are some instructions about this here: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Compile If you're on Linux, it might be a bit tricky to set up, but on Windows and OSX it should be painless, assuming you have MSVC 2010 or XCode already in place.

After that, decide what you want to work on. There's a list of possible tasks here: http://freeorion.org/index.php/Programming_Work or you can find your own bug or missing feature and start working. If it's something complicated or requiring design consultation, you should probably make a thread in a suitable-sounding forum first, but if it's a purely technical issue or minor thing, you can probably just start coding.

Actually doing that coding might require some help to understand the codebase. For that, feel free to post on the forums, or try your luck in the IRC channel, though for IRC, don't be surprised if you don't always get a prompt reply.

Once you've coded something, make an SVN patch, and post that to a programming forum thread for review.

wodencafe
Space Krill

Re: Contributing

#3 Post by wodencafe » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:09 am

Thank you for the follow up, I am actually using Linux at the moment, and a little embarrassed to admit that I had trouble getting it to compile on my system last time. It might have been because I'm using a 64 bit system (Don't remember exactly), but I have a chrooted 32 bit Ubuntu that I will see if I can get FreeOrion source to compile from.

After this, I can look into some of these tasks. Thanks for the link by the way, I will definitely be reviewing this.

That really was an excellent reply on your part, extremely informative.