MacOsX Version issues

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Naesbye
Krill Swarm

Re: MacOsX Version issues

#76 Post by Naesbye »

The latest static build (0.3.1-RC6+) works fine on a 2006 MacBook Pro (Core Duo, Mac OS X 10.5.5).
Log says that a few calls are deprecated - CPSGetCurrentProcess() and CPSSetForegroundOperationState(), but no problems otherwise.

A newer version would of course be nice as I understand that it has developed immensely in the meantime, especially regarding the awe-inspiring tech tree :)

For now, I'll just play around with it, but come spring/summer I might have time to make or help with making a build of the OS X version.
Ideally, the XCode project could be included in the repo, yes?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#77 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Naesbye wrote:...come spring/summer I might have time to make or help with making a build of the OS X version.
Ideally, the XCode project could be included in the repo, yes?
I don't see any reason not to add an XCode project, especially if someone is able to maintain it long-term.

Naesbye
Krill Swarm

#78 Post by Naesbye »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...especially if someone is able to maintain it long-term.
That would of course be the idea. Is LaplaceOperator still involved with the version?

Geoff the Medio

#79 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Naesbye wrote:Is LaplaceOperator still involved with the version?
He hasn't been around for about a year, so no.

Naesbye
Krill Swarm

#80 Post by Naesbye »

OK. Ping me when 0.3.11 is out, and I'll see if I can make a build of that one :-)

Geoff the Medio

#81 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you might be able to make a build, please don't wait until the next numbered release. I imagine eleazar (among others) would be quite happy to get an updated binary regardless of whether it matches up with an "official" release.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#82 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:I imagine eleazar (among others) would be quite happy to get an updated binary regardless of whether it matches up with an "official" release.
Yep,
i would probably be moved to do some sort of happy dance.

.Id
Space Squid

#83 Post by .Id »

I'm working on making the scons build more compatible with Mac OS X. I had a working build of FreeOrion 0.3.11 Rev. 2793 this morning. Just the SConstructs needed some hacking and dependencies needed to be wrestled. But I see dependencies may be changing -- I take it that Ogre and Bullet are now required dependencies?

I'll see if I can get the latest revision to work with these and help get the SConstructs updated. I could also help with a wiki page about the subtleties of installing the dependencies, if that would be helpful.

I'll admit that I'm not an experienced Mac user, but I'd be interested in trying to help update the xcode project and FreeOrion binary, also.

Geoff the Medio

#84 Post by Geoff the Medio »

.Id wrote:I'm working on making the scons build more compatible with Mac OS X. I had a working build of FreeOrion 0.3.11 Rev. 2793 this morning.
If you can package that up and post it, it'd be appreciated... Even if you can't get it working after the recent changes.
I take it that Ogre and Bullet are now required dependencies?
Yes; tzlaine has merged the Ogre integration branch into trunk, and is currently working out the issues associated with that transition.
I'll see if I can get the latest revision to work with these and help get the SConstructs updated. I could also help with a wiki page about the subtleties of installing the dependencies, if that would be helpful.
Both of these would be good.
I'll admit that I'm not an experienced Mac user, but I'd be interested in trying to help update the xcode project and FreeOrion binary, also.
And we're quite interested in having you do so.

eleazar

#85 Post by eleazar »

cool.

.Id
Space Squid

#86 Post by .Id »

I decided to get a more stable footing in a pre-Ogre integration version and iterate from there.

I've got the xcode project updated and the local build working well, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to statically link the graphviz libraries and disable the dynamic plugin loading crap. If I can figure that out, it should be a self-contained bundle, but right now one would have to install graphviz locally (which I guess isn't too hard since there's an OSX installer of 2.20, but I'd lose sleep knowing that there's probably a better way).

Anyone have advice?

.Id
Space Squid

#87 Post by .Id »

Think I've figured out the graphviz business. For completeness:

I link with libgvc_builtins.dylib and libgvplugin_dot_layout.dylib instead of just libgvc.dylib. Additionally, this section of code is added.

Code: Select all

#include "gvplugin.h"

extern gvplugin_library_t *gvplugin_dot_layout_LTX_library;

const lt_symlist_t lt_preloaded_symbols[] = {
{ "gvplugin_dot_layout_LTX_library", 
(void*)(&gvplugin_dot_layout_LTX_library) },
{ 0, 0 }
};
Now the dot layout plugin loads once at runtime instead of dynamically "on-demand", which is troublesome because it would then look in a predetermined install path for a graphviz 'config' file.

I'll get things in order and ready in the next couple days.

eleazar

#88 Post by eleazar »

Here's the FO icon in various formats including the icon in two different mac icon formats, in case you don't have that.

http://www.jwbjerk.com/dl/freeorion/fo-icons.zip

This really should be in trunk somewhere, but i'm not sure where application icons should go, it seems like they are normally in some odd place in the trunk.

Geoff the Medio

#89 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:Here's the FO icon in various formats including the icon in two different mac icon formats, in case you don't have that.

http://www.jwbjerk.com/dl/freeorion/fo-icons.zip

This really should be in trunk somewhere, but i'm not sure where application icons should go, it seems like they are normally in some odd place in the trunk.
HumanClient.ico is in client/human/ which sort of makes sense, although putting it in default/data/art/icons would make sense as well. Since you note "mac icon formats" I assume the linked file there is only the windows version. (It's also still lacking a transparent background, should someone want and be able to fix that...)

The server and AI executables currently don't have icons. (Or rather, use the default .exe icon in windows)

.Id
Space Squid

#90 Post by .Id »

Here's some binaries for 0.3.11 rev 2793.

bin

Should be simple as unzipping and running. Dependencies not included in the app bundle I believe are all basic system ones. Let me know.
Universal includes both PPC and i386 builds, but the individual ones are there for those that want to save a few megs.
PPC isn't tested.

I updated the OSX SDK and the graphviz dependency it included.

sdk