MacOsX Version issues

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderators: Committer, Committer

Message
Author
User avatar
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1924
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:17 pm
Location: 52°16'N 10°31'E

#31 Post by pd » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 am

Geoff wrote:
LaplaceOperator wrote:Do you know where i can find the latest splash image uncut?
There's a low resolution of the previous colour scheme on pd's image website, but I can't find the newest version not cut up. It shouldn't be too difficult to recombine the separated images in a bitmap editor though... pd also probably has it.
I was not responsible for cutting the splash, I don't even know why it was done. Anyway, I've uploaded the full-resolution, uncutted v0.3 splash. Grab it from here.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12674
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

#32 Post by Geoff the Medio » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:59 am

pd wrote:I was not responsible for cutting the splash, I don't even know why it was done.
I didn't (mean to) imply you were. It was done by (I believe) tzlaine so the individual images were no larger than 512 pixels in any direction, which is useful or necessary for programming reasons.

Also, so it's no missed, from the end of the last page:
tzlaine wrote:
frankie wrote:Always the third item out of any, in any order. Seems like the art is all there. The button-click sound effect also works fine, right before FO dies.
Can you produce a stacktrace?

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Switzerland

#33 Post by LaplaceOperator » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:29 am

frankie wrote:Always the third item out of any, in any order. Seems like the art is all there. The button-click sound effect also works fine, right before FO dies.
Thx for the response frankie. I will try to reproduce the crash this evening.
tzlaine wrote:Can you produce a stacktrace
Frankie already sent me one. The crash occurs in iluScale2DBilinear_ which is a function in libILU.a
tzlaine wrote:Thanks again, Laplace. Did you have to change any of the source? If so, could a get a patch?
Yes I did some minor changes to the code. I removed earlier changes for the mouse-handling stuff because the problem has been resolved in SDL and wrote a mac specific part in Directories.cpp so that the game works from inside an application bundle. Is it possible to create patches with svn? I don't remember how i created the patches last time.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12674
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

#34 Post by Geoff the Medio » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:41 am

From FO directory:

Code: Select all

svn diff > descriptive_filename.patch

User avatar
tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:33 pm

#35 Post by tzlaine » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
pd wrote:I was not responsible for cutting the splash, I don't even know why it was done.
I didn't (mean to) imply you were. It was done by (I believe) tzlaine so the individual images were no larger than 512 pixels in any direction, which is useful or necessary for programming reasons.

Also, so it's no missed, from the end of the last page:
tzlaine wrote:
frankie wrote:Always the third item out of any, in any order. Seems like the art is all there. The button-click sound effect also works fine, right before FO dies.
Can you produce a stacktrace?
FWIW, on some systems, OpenGL cannot have textures larger than 512x512; that's why the cutting was necessary.

User avatar
tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:33 pm

#36 Post by tzlaine » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:09 pm

LaplaceOperator wrote:
frankie wrote:Always the third item out of any, in any order. Seems like the art is all there. The button-click sound effect also works fine, right before FO dies.
Thx for the response frankie. I will try to reproduce the crash this evening.
tzlaine wrote:Can you produce a stacktrace
Frankie already sent me one. The crash occurs in iluScale2DBilinear_ which is a function in libILU.a
tzlaine wrote:Thanks again, Laplace. Did you have to change any of the source? If so, could a get a patch?
Yes I did some minor changes to the code. I removed earlier changes for the mouse-handling stuff because the problem has been resolved in SDL and wrote a mac specific part in Directories.cpp so that the game works from inside an application bundle. Is it possible to create patches with svn? I don't remember how i created the patches last time.
Someone else sent me a patch recently that removed the SDL mouse code too, as well as some other minor changes. You should be sure you're using the latest version of the code before you make a patch for me, but here's all you need to do to make a patch:

svn diff > [filename].patch

"svn diff" implicitly uses the "-u" diff flag, making a very nice patchfile. You should run that command from the root of your FO tree. Note that if there are any GG changes, "svn diff" will not recurse down into FreeOrion/GG, so you need to go there as well, then do another "svn diff".

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Switzerland

#37 Post by LaplaceOperator » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:12 am

pd: thx for the splash
Geoff and tzlaine: thx for the info
frankie: I tried to reproduce the crash and noticed that as soon as you build something it won't occur anymore. But finally I managed to reproduce it. I will look into it tomorrow.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Switzerland

#38 Post by LaplaceOperator » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:18 am

This is really a weird kind of crash. I tried to figure out why this happens and I can't see what the problem is. Does this also happen on other Platforms? Its clearly devIL related. And it only happens when the building logos haven't been loaded. When you build something before having selected the 3rd building in a row the error seems not to occur anymore.
Another problem I noticed is, that the mouse coordinates seem to be shifted down by a couple of pixels in y direction so clicking Starsystems can get quite annoying sometimes.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12674
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

#39 Post by Geoff the Medio » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:45 am

LaplaceOperator wrote:Does this also happen on other Platforms?
I've not had any crashes related to clicking on things on the production screen on WinXP.
Another problem I noticed is, that the mouse coordinates seem to be shifted down by a couple of pixels in y direction so clicking Starsystems can get quite annoying sometimes.
This happens in windowed mode in WinXP when you first start the program. It gets fixed after moving the window around the screen. I assume it's due to the height of the title-bar that appears while windowed but not while fullscreen not being properly accounted for when translating mouse to in-game screen coordinates. May or may not be the same issue you're seeing, but if you're in windowed mode, try the moving the window around...

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Switzerland

#40 Post by LaplaceOperator » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote: ... May or may not be the same issue you're seeing, but if you're in windowed mode, try the moving the window around...
I'm pretty sure that it isn't the same issue because Mac Os X uses a coordinate system where the origin is at the lower left of the screen

User avatar
tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:33 pm

#41 Post by tzlaine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:56 pm

LaplaceOperator wrote:This is really a weird kind of crash. I tried to figure out why this happens and I can't see what the problem is. Does this also happen on other Platforms? Its clearly devIL related. And it only happens when the building logos haven't been loaded. When you build something before having selected the 3rd building in a row the error seems not to occur anymore.
Another problem I noticed is, that the mouse coordinates seem to be shifted down by a couple of pixels in y direction so clicking Starsystems can get quite annoying sometimes.
If possible, step through line by line and note where things go squirrely. It sounds like some bit of code might be assuming that the image is loaded when it isn't, and is reading or writing through a null pointer.

pvatilo
Space Krill
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Vaasa, Finland

Re: 0.3-RC4 for MacOsX10.4

#42 Post by pvatilo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:58 pm

Hello,

I just found this forum and the game that really seems interesting to me (FeeOrion) as a Master of Orion fan. However, when I downloaded the binaries from the link below and followed the instructions I was not able to get the program running at all. I have a MacBook Pro (Intel and Tiger 10.4.10). Can anyone help me to get started?

http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/FreeO ... d_libs.dmg

(Added 27.7.) I installed the pakackage in the dmg file and copied the FreeOrion into Applications folder. Is there anything else I should install to my computer?

Regards,

Petri Vatilo

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: 0.3-RC4 for MacOsX10.4

#43 Post by eleazar » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:48 pm

pvatilo wrote:I installed the pakackage in the dmg file and copied the FreeOrion into Applications folder. Is there anything else I should install to my computer?
That's all i did, and it worked
but i have a older PPC based mac.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Switzerland

Re: MacOsX Version issues

#44 Post by LaplaceOperator » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:27 pm

Hello again. I have some new fixes to the current codebase to maintain macosx compatibility.

Basically its just some wrong include directory paths. In GG/Texture.cpp i'm not entirely sure whether my fix is only platform specific as you're using mipmaps for the min_filter but you don't build them.

Here are the patches:
for FreeOrion: http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/downl ... cosx.patch
for GG: http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/downl ... cosx.patch

Soon I will put up the new compiled version. I saw that some people had trouble getting my last version to work. Mainly because libltdl3.dylib was missing on their system. This time it will be included in the package. Has there been any other errors encountered so far?

Cheers

jesse
Space Krill
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:14 pm

Re: MacOsX Version issues

#45 Post by jesse » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:18 pm

It crashed for me too, very fast. I started a game and was clicking around to learn the interface. After some little exploring, I wanted to see what cool ships there were. I clicked on the first non-colony ship. The stats and picture came up. I clicked on the second one, and the game went down.

Post Reply