Fix warnings about unused stuff

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Fix warnings about unused stuff

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

vincele wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:SetColumnWidth, are intended for use in not-yet-implmented features, and not something I want to have to rewrite whenever getting around to it...
Is there an ETA, discussion, or even a plan somewhere about those future features ?
There's a vague plan in my head to add a way to adjust the column widths in the GUI, instead of requiring config.xml edits as I think is the case now. I don't have any meaningful ETA for this though. Preferably someone else would do it, so I don't have to. That, and the issues with sorting of columns by text instead of number value, were things I hoped would be annoying enough but understandable enough for someone else to get motivated and be able to implement.
Should I rediff with only the other bits, removing the questionnable stuff until investigations happen ?
That would be useful.

vincele
Space Dragon

#17 Post by vincele »

Geoff the Medio wrote:There's a vague plan in my head to add a way to adjust the column widths in the GUI, instead of requiring config.xml edits as I think is the case now. I don't have any meaningful ETA for this though. Preferably someone else would do it, so I don't have to. That, and the issues with sorting of columns by text instead of number value, were things I hoped would be annoying enough but understandable enough for someone else to get motivated and be able to implement.
I've just observed myself recently that columns are not resizable in-game. That and the sorting thing is kinda funky for numbers'n'text that I'm currently using for the suitability column...
So it may bother me enough that I'll have a look at this. Don't hold your breath, though.
Geoff the Medio wrote:
Should I rediff with only the other bits, removing the questionable stuff until investigations happen ?
That would be useful.
I'll do this quickly, we can then postpone the remaining bits.
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

vincele
Space Dragon

#18 Post by vincele »

Here are the seemingly uncontroversial parts of the unused stuff patch

[The extension diff has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

currently test building...
EDIT: Built properly on linux...
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#20 Post by Dilvish »

BTW, vincele, the new avatar is quite amusing :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

vincele
Space Dragon

#21 Post by vincele »

Yeah, I spoke with another user about his comics-inspired nickname, which prodded him into choosing a new avatar, which made me want one too...

But I had no good idea, and then the Dyson Forest bug hit me...
And now I can suck very much with my FO Aero-patches.

Side question for forum admins, would I be allowed to keep my current rank even if I post enough to reach next level ?
OOoohh, maybe I can get a "Dyson Silvae Emeritus" if I'm kind enough... :-)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

vincele wrote:OOoohh, maybe I can get a "Dyson Silvae Emeritus" if I'm kind enough... :-)
Well, to qualify for the "Emeritus" part you've to leave the project after being a veteran team member for years. You are very welcome to strive for that honor :mrgreen:

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#23 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Do you use some static analysis tools? Like http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/ (PS I did not c++, but use something similar for python)
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

vincele
Space Dragon

#24 Post by vincele »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:Do you use some static analysis tools? Like http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/ (PS I did not c++, but use something similar for python)
I've never used cppcheck, but did use pylint in the past with good success.

For those patches, I just built FO with LLVM's clang++-3.6 and looked at the pile of warnings for easily fixable ones, that would not be too controversial... It reduces the signal/noise ratio to get warning fixes in, so that you can see new appearing ones quicker and eventually fix them before submitting your patches for inclusion.

But to be able to see those by-standers, I had to shut whole classes of warnings, because they are too numerous.

As a side bonus it gets me accustomed back with C++, and make me look at code areas that I wouldn't touch otherwise...

Geoff the Medio

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

vincele wrote:
Cjkjvfnby wrote:Do you use some static analysis tools? Like http://cppcheck.sourceforge.net/ (PS I did not c++, but use something similar for python)
I've never used cppcheck...
Nagilum used to post cppcheck results.

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#26 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
vincele wrote:
I've never used cppcheck...
Nagilum used to post cppcheck results.
Was it helpful?

vincele
Space Dragon

#27 Post by vincele »

Vezzra wrote:
OOoohh, maybe I can get a "Dyson Silvae Emeritus" if I'm kind enough... :-)
Well, to qualify for the "Emeritus" part you've to leave the project after being a veteran team member for years. You are very welcome to strive for that honor :mrgreen:
Crap, now I'm a "space dragon", which make my avatar worthless, at least I'd like to become a "space vacuum dragon", that'd be more appropriate, until I'll get back to that emeritus thing...