AI fleets skipping past my blockading fleet

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Dragget
Space Floater

AI fleets skipping past my blockading fleet

#1 Post by Dragget »

<<version is 0.4.9 2020-03-02.89280c7>>
I have a fleet parked blockading and AI opponent's home system. It's been there for several turns while I wait for reinforcements to arrive before resuming my offensive:
Before image (attached)
Next turn, the AI decides to pull their fleets back to cover the home system:
After image (attached)
It appears they were able to bypass my defending fleet without combat. Should that be possible? (I verified that my fleet was in aggressive mode, FWIW.)
Save file from the "before" turn (attached, compressed with 7Zip)
Advancing two turns, both fleets I marked with arrows in the screenshots skip past my blockade without combat.
Sorry for the poor quality of the images: I was unable to use screen capture, as it just gives me a black screen (game is in fullscreen mode) so I used my phone camera to capture images.
Attachments
Before screenshot.png
Before screenshot.png (3.23 MiB) Viewed 4116 times

Dragget
Space Floater

Re: AI fleets skipping past my blockading fleet

#2 Post by Dragget »

I had an idea, so I unstacked my Juggernaut from my fleet, and now the AI can't skip past my blockade anymore. Apparently, domesticated space monsters have some different setting that allows player fleets to avoid them under certain circumstances.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Dragget wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:58 am I had an idea, so I unstacked my Juggernaut from my fleet, and now the AI can't skip past my blockade anymore. Apparently, domesticated space monsters have some different setting that allows player fleets to avoid them under certain circumstances.
Buuuuuug!
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Please open a bug report issue on github.

Dragget
Space Floater

#5 Post by Dragget »

bug report posted. Bake 'em away, toys!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Thanks!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:32 amSave file from the "before" turn (attached, compressed with 7Zip)
I don't see any attachment...

Dragget
Space Floater

#8 Post by Dragget »

I uploaded before/after images and a .sav file, but apparently only the 1st file was accepted. However, I also uploaded them on github as requested, so you can get them there.

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dragget wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 pmI also uploaded them on github as requested, so you can get them there.
There are no attachments on the github bug report either... https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues/2799

Dragget
Space Floater

#10 Post by Dragget »

I guess I'll have to get another game and duplicate it again. :( I no longer have the .sav on my system.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pmI don't see any attachment...
Dragget wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:19 pm I uploaded before/after images and a .sav file, but apparently only the 1st file was accepted. However, I also uploaded them on github as requested, so you can get them there.
This has happened to me too. If you attach more than one file and then edit the message, only one attachment will be there. Forum bug I guess.
Github does not have that problem.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#12 Post by defaultuser »

Yeah, I ran into some attachment weirdness. I think it might have happened with Preview as well.

Dragget
Space Floater

#13 Post by Dragget »

I'm trying to duplicate the problem, but it's a very specific condition: I have to have a fleet with monster(s) in it, then I have to get it in a position where the AI wants to send a fleet past my blockade. Mostly they prefer to just attack rather than trying to bypass me. :(

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

Dragget wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:38 am I'm trying to duplicate the problem, but it's a very specific condition: I have to have a fleet with monster(s) in it, then I have to get it in a position where the AI wants to send a fleet past my blockade. Mostly they prefer to just attack rather than trying to bypass me. :(
An alternative could be to create a local multiplayer game with medium/high monsters (to ensure that you get plenty of monster nests) and two human players (two freeorion clients connected to the localhost server). The bug should apply to AI and human players.

Geoff the Medio

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Single player saves are preferable, when possible, though; they are easier to test.