Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Underling
Space Squid

#16 Post by Underling »

Satyagraha wrote: i just couldn´t find a better solution for diplomacy... i thought maybe a signed contract, but it´s hard to do with just a few pixels... any other ideas?
How about a folder with "Top Secret" or "Classified" stamped on it for espionage. I know the icon wouldn't be race specifc, but that sure would get the point across, right?

BTW, nice icons. They should go far towards snazzing up the sitrep.

EDIT:DOH! I meant the suggestions to be for spying, not diplomacy like the quote said.
Last edited by Underling on Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by utilae »

Satyagraha wrote: thx for reminding, i simply forgot about the research icon ;)

Your research icon is great. Sorry, pd but the demon summoning circle doesn't look research like to me. It is the same type of demon summoning circle that is used in most games. And I would think summon, rather then research.
Satyagraha wrote: i tried espionage with a spy too, but i didn´t like it.
1) like pd said, it´s race-specific.
2) you have to make him look like a detective or something, with a hat, which makes it look very old-fashioned.
A magnifying glass or a detective with hat isn't a spy. Thats a detective, like sherlock holmes. A spy is within the enemies ranks, sending back information, doing saboutage, etc.

How about:
-A building exploding, ie saboutage.

As for diplomacy, that icon is fine. Sure, you could probably change the person figure to the right shape for the players race, but otherwise it's fine as it is, cause humans are playing the game after all. Of course one could be a human and one could be an alien (maybe an alien not in the game).

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by pd »

you got something wrong. my icon was meant as suggestion for diplomacy, cuz Satyagraha asked for ideas.

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#19 Post by vorenhutz »

maybe a seven pointed star for diplomacy, to avoid other connotations :)

Starrh
Space Squid

#20 Post by Starrh »

I will throw this out to some of you art guys maybe you can make it look less like a cigarette. I have seen this used many times in games to represent Diplomacy.

Last edited by Starrh on Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it was easy then we all would be doing it!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by utilae »

Its like a treaty or a contract. That would be good. Though I do like your first one. 8)

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#22 Post by miu »

I like the previous icon more as well, maybe you could have it like 7-pointed star and not everyone being connected to everyone else to avoid occult-associations, though the last one is good as well.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#23 Post by Satyagraha »

empire eliminated (edit: oops, i just noticed this is human-specific again... lol, i just keep forgetting to do them neutral ;) )

various flags

comments?

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#24 Post by leiavoia »

you know, when it comes to 32x32 flags and icons, i know of this great little package we came up with once upon a time... :-)

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#25 Post by Satyagraha »

don´t know about that package, what is it?
miu said in statusreport flags were still needed...

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#26 Post by leiavoia »

http://www.orionsector.com/pages/mods/f ... ck01.shtml

the Orion Sector site ran a custom MOO3 flag contest over a year ago and these were the finalists.

I don't think they ever made it into the official patch, so that means they are still public domain.

Lyx
Space Kraken

#27 Post by Lyx »

those icons look great and easily recognizable.

The one for diplomacy seems a bit 20th century-like and less fitting for a SciFi/Fantasy Theme. It also looks more "business"-like. Hmmhmm, maybe just a silhuette of two heads(one left, one right) talking/looking at each other?

- Lyx

edit: for spying, a dagger may also work. just an idea.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#28 Post by drek »

I made the six-sided die and the roach sitting right next to it.

Seems like it would be difficult to get permission from everyone who participated. Sounds like there a clause that specifically released all images into the p.d. True?

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#29 Post by leiavoia »

technically, they went to Infogrames/Atari, but since they never used them (that i know about), they are still open. I don't think anyone would really care much if you used them or not. I'd only be flattered.

I made the "I'm With ->" sign BTW :-)

Although the handicapped symbol was my favorite!

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#30 Post by Impaler »

I like more abstract symbols and Icons and things that are less "Human-Centric" remember were going to have dozens of alien races (so for example using wheat to sysbalize food would be bad).

Research could be an Atom
Espionage could be a Telescope or a screen of 1's and 0's (think Matrix)
The Pentagram looks good for Diplomacy as it reflects cris crossing relationships.

Also, add some fumes to the test tude and some bubbles too
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune