Battle Technology Graphics

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Battle Technology Graphics

#1 Post by Zanzibar »

Here is a concept Batteloid that I made.

3d Face DXF file

Comments/suggestions and other ideas appreciated.
Last edited by Zanzibar on Sun May 09, 2004 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

noelte
Juggernaut

Re: Batteloids

#2 Post by noelte »

nice work, but imo to much detail. I would expect (at least the human build batteloids) to be more like mechs.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Impaler »

Also that thing looks very umm GUNDAM-ish and personaly I never liked the way Gundam looks, their far to Human shaped to be even remotly belivable (mechs are better but even some of them stretch the imagination).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by miu »

Some race could have animestylish battleoids, but definetly not the basic humans. Ground-units are scheduled to 0.6, so we're in no hurry with these :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

I understand we aren't in a hurry, just wanted to show some concept images. Is this more what you guys had in mind for a mech??

VRML source file

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Ah, I can make tanks for ground combat.

Yeah mechs probably need to be less anime/transformer like but more mech warrior, maybe even some animal/creature similarities.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Is it just me... or does the head on that first one remind you of the basic wimpy "roger roger" battle droids from the last two Stars Wars films?

drek
Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by drek »

The VRML loads into max, but the geometry....isn't well constructed. DOMA does't produce the kind of geometry that can be easily subdivided.

I don't think the results of the DOMA program are useful. Further, I don't like the idea of using textures and geometry from a shareware program. Snapping a preformed head and preformed legs onto a preformed body doesn't produce a distinctly new creation.

Kostik666
Space Floater

#9 Post by Kostik666 »

if this is still up for discussion... you might want to borrow a shape or 2 from mechcommander 2... those were nice... or MW4+ addons... not copy just inspiration.
>^)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#10 Post by Zanzibar »

drek wrote:The VRML loads into max, but the geometry....isn't well constructed. DOMA does't produce the kind of geometry that can be easily subdivided.

I don't think the results of the DOMA program are useful. Further, I don't like the idea of using textures and geometry from a shareware program. Snapping a preformed head and preformed legs onto a preformed body doesn't produce a distinctly new creation.
First, it's not DOMA it's DOGA. And well, just seeing what all I can make with it, as I'm getting better at it. If you don't want to use any of my work, that is fine and good. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you. I'm just trying to contribute in the best way that I can, ok?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#11 Post by Zanzibar »

LithiumMongoose wrote:Is it just me... or does the head on that first one remind you of the basic wimpy "roger roger" battle droids from the last two Stars Wars films?
Hey... you're right... hehe ;) Guess he's just a super-sized, upgraded roger-roger star wars robot, eh? ;)
Last edited by Zanzibar on Sun May 09, 2004 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#12 Post by Zanzibar »

An open-cockpit hovertank

VRML source code

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#13 Post by Zanzibar »

Changed the name of the thread to reflect the tangent it has taken. Here is my most recent creation. The Mark 1 Battle Turret.

The Mark 1 Battle Turret features a 360 degree horizontal rotation, and 135 Degree Vertical rotation to provide the biggest firing arc available on the market today. We here at Zanzibar technologies have armed this weapons platform with 2 heavy duty plasma cannons, and for extra fire power, 2 homing missile pods. This should be more then sufficient to stop most any incoming troop pods to your planets. The open cockpit design features rapid entry and escape just in case the enemy some how manages to aim a bomb at your location (easily detectable with the early warning bomb feature, for an additional 157,632 galactic credits).

VRML source file

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by Impaler »

I would keep clear of open cocpits with Chairs, many of our races will be aquatic, 12 feet tall or non-corporeal making the systems all but useless for them. Also its obviously poor defence and illogical for a time when chemical and Biological weapons are avalible and Space travel will likly mean your fighting on an Alien planet with hostile unbreathable atmospheres. I would expect all the ocupants of ground combat vehicles (and the infantry too) to be fully enclosed. Even now our own military is moving in this direction.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#15 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, as the primary race will be human for a long while, these could be human design. Not to mention, they could be manned by robots or humans in full body armor. Besides, this is a concept thread, not an actual request to be filled.