Uses of tags in species definition files

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Uses of tags in species definition files

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I need help to be sure when we have to add something to the tags list of a species and when we should not.

I know some effects are dependent on the species having or not a given trait, and that is queried through tags. E.g. primitive natives have the corresponding tag to disallow moderate or high tech special on their planets, no offensive troops species have it to ensure that they cannot build ships with troop parts, the metabolism tags are needed for the effects of bombard weapons, organic species also for the telepathic control effect, and a long et cetera.

Apparently, it is not needed to add tags to include traits in the species descriptions (although I have no idea, yet, how does that actually happen).

Why do we have the AVERAGE_SUPPLY tag on all the species with that trait but we don't have AVERAGE_whatever for the rest of traits?

Should tags that are not used in any other place apart from the species definition file be removed?