A loading screen

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

A loading screen

#1 Post by Extremepumpkin »

hey, been fiddling with photoshop (and my "allowance" for plugins at work :D! (go flaming pear!) anyways, I made a potential loading screen sans text (can be added programming wise to allow for different languages).

a not-as-ugly-as-moo3's loading screen.

http://lacota.net/loading.jpg

EDIT: here's a second

http://lacota.net/loading2.jpg

they're 1024x768.

Two posted, more to go.
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Hmm... I'm usually pretty picky about pre-drawn space/planet scenes, but... melikes. Any chance of shrinking the bright white stars in the second one? They all seem to be two pixels wide, only criticism. :)

drek
Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by drek »

Looks like Lunarcell planets against a Glittero background. Surprised you didn't throw in a Solarcell star or two.

Looks like you manually resized the Glilttero background, and maybe the large planet as well. Creates a blur effect around the nebula and planets that I find displeasing. (or it might just be an image compression thang...)

I've never liked the extreme bump on Lunarcell planets.

I agree that Lunarcell and Glittero are fun toys. But I'm queasy about using them extensively and without a great deal of retouching--it feels like throwing someone else's work in to the game.

Lyx
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Lyx »

all in all *me likes*

But the contrasts and height-maps are way to extreme.
In case these images should be background-images(like some fonts or so would be in the foreground) i'd decrease brightness too, so that the "background" doesn't merge with the "foreground".
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

Kostik666
Space Floater

#5 Post by Kostik666 »

just a suggestion,
1) that planet looks a lil too human / bionic

2) i think some sort of industrial planet would look nice
^---- not a solution to 1

3) make a nicely rendered star maybe colorful and sumtin, and make it say "FO"
i think that would look awesome
>^)

Lyx
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Lyx »

Mmh, i've thought a bit about a loading screen.

I would propose to go with something more smooth. More similiar to the planets from the planets-thread. Maybe gas-giant on the left, and a starbase on the lower-right.

All in all colourful but not oversaturated colors, smooth contrasts. So, that the whole image is very subtle but if you would look closer you could find many details like small ships leaving the station, etc.

Still, the image should not get overcrowded, so that the feeling of "deep space" gets caught.
"You don't need to travel to far-away lands, just to find worlds which are inside of yourself."

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Moo3 loading screen

#7 Post by guiguibaah »

In the old moo3 boards, a poster by the name of smellymummy made a rotating 'end of turn' screen for moo3. It would switch from different pics, say from a picture from a planet, to a picture of that planet on the horizon, to a picture of a starshjip being designed, to a picture of an alien, etc...

It was pretty cool - amazing how it actually uplifted the graphics in moo3.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by Impaler »

Yes a varition in the Graphics screens realy helps spice up a games graphics. Could we implement something similar with the ability for people to drop any combination of images into an apropriate folder and have them randomly displayed in that way.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

noelte
Juggernaut

#9 Post by noelte »

Impaler wrote:Could we implement something similar with the ability for people to drop any combination of images into an apropriate folder and have them randomly displayed in that way.
This shouldn't be a big problem.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#10 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Yeah, lunarcell is handy, and it does a good job. Been busy with real life so I'll do a decent one shortly.

Edit: lost all sense in the last sentence. what I ment to say was: I will make one with the above in mind.

Blar

EP

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#11 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Finished another picture, this one I made as a wallpaper for my machine, it's 1280x1024.

http://lacota.net/dawn.jpg

warning: it's nearly a meg.

Pasi
Space Squid

#12 Post by Pasi »

I think it needs less stars in the background... 8)
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

noelte
Juggernaut

#13 Post by noelte »

Pasi wrote:I think it needs less stars in the background... 8)
That's a kind of sun-glasses, isn't it? ;-)

nightwalker
Space Floater

#14 Post by nightwalker »

very nice i like them, the first better then the second, it has more depth to me :) and the last is very good too (is that cites or clouds on the dark side of the planet in the last pic?)
Idea: when a planet starts to to get a larger population i think it would look good if u could see the larger colonies lights in the planets shadow.
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by Tyreth »

The newest one looks pretty good. You could check with the 0.1 release to see how it looks in game, at least on the main menu screen.