Animated planet files

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
vishnou00
Space Kraken

Animated planet files

#1 Post by vishnou00 »

Where can the animated planet graphics be found?

To make a shor story shorter:
freeorion.log wrote:2004-06-11 01:37:47,043 FATAL : GG::GGException (subclass TextureException) caught in App::Run(): Could not load temporary DevIL image from file 'default/art/small/planets/lights/lights1_000.png'
2004-06-11 01:37:47,043 FATAL : Initiating Exit (code 1 - error termination)
:(

It's the CVS version, on windows xp. A lot of files specified in planet.xml aren't on the CVS. Is there another kind of repository, beside sourceforge?

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

the files you are looking for are rather big, i think about 60MB. But i will have a look this evening that you don't need those lights.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by Tyreth »

For now I think you need to grab them off prenid. Eventually we'll see about getting them uploaded somewhere.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#4 Post by vishnou00 »

I think I may be able to hack something, since I care more about non-dumping-to-the-desktop prog than animated png.

I could just generate color filled png with the right filename and resolution and use them as placeholder.

I don't know about the result, but isn't it inelegant to use png do do animation? There may be somekind of video plugin where you could play somekind of mpeg. It would surely be more memory efficient than raw video.

noelte
Juggernaut

#5 Post by noelte »

vishnou00 wrote:I don't know about the result, but isn't it inelegant to use png do do animation? There may be somekind of video plugin where you could play somekind of mpeg. It would surely be more memory efficient than raw video.
I don't mind if you come up with something. :roll:

Right now png framesets are the easiest way and it looks fantastic.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

noelte, yes it looks good, but we have a big memory problem ;) and i don't think the rescaled(64x64) planets(60mb on harddisk, more than 400mb in memory,if i remember right) aret a solution. they simply look too blury and washed out.

really good looking are only the 128x128 ones but those are 180mb on hd and more than 800mb in memory.

maybe we should really think about using some kind of video codec, but i'm not sure if it really saves memory. if you could come up with something vishnou, i would be happy ;)

instead of png we already tryed the .jng format, which used 1/6 memory on hd, but in-game, loaded in memory it used as much as .png.

i'll send you a pm, where you can download the current framesets, to have a look.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#7 Post by vishnou00 »

Is it a way to say "if you want it, do it yourself. If you can't do it, don't talk about it" ? Or has anyone heard of a way to use OS installed codecs (an interface to DirectShow and a Linux equivalent). It may not be wort it, but I sure would appreciate an option to disable it, my "cheap intel chipset integrated 3d thing with shared memory" would be thankful.

noelte
Juggernaut

#8 Post by noelte »

vishnou00 wrote:Is it a way to say "if you want it, do it yourself. If you can't do it, don't talk about it" ?
You don't have to take it personal. It wasn't meant that way. But in fact there is plenty of work ahead which is more pressing. We are aware of issues about planet rotation (another suggestion was using a sphere with mapped textures). If i remember correctly, you have programming skills, that's why i said you should try to find a working solution.

Btw: when loaded jng is four-times as big as png. Devil seems to handle jngs different than pngs.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by Tyreth »

Perhaps smpeg could be used:
http://www.lokigames.com/development/smpeg.php3

I don't know much about it, but it might be worth looking at if anyone is interested.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#10 Post by leiavoia »

If memory is the issue, using a textured sphere is the way to go. It's probably less work too, with all the talented 3D modelers we have around here.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by pd »

why is it less work? the work is already done. besides this, real time rendered stuff doens't look as good as prerendered :p

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#12 Post by vishnou00 »

noelte wrote:You don't have to take it personal.
Really, no problem. I was just in my "too late at night paranoid mode". Paranoid people shouldn't be taken seriously.

Btw, I'm glad Tyreth pointed out the smpeg project. If it work one day, it will allow many eyecandies without much programming work.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#13 Post by vishnou00 »

Thanks prenid!

I'm forced to admit, the effect is extremely pretty. But it's still 180 MB of HD data and 140 MB of memory (for 3 planets): someone will have to do something about it, one day.

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#14 Post by LonghornXtreme »

did ya'll ever consider possibly using some sort of mpeg4 codec?

I'm no programmer so i don't know the contsraints of popping video into the gui... but XVID is a completely Open Source fully MPEG4 compliant codec. Look it up on sourceforge. Compressing a frame sequence of 128x128 will be a joke for the codec.... Problem might be on CPU usage for playback....

Yoghurt
Programmer

#15 Post by Yoghurt »

LonghornXtreme wrote:I'm no programmer so i don't know the contsraints of popping video into the gui... but XVID is a completely Open Source fully MPEG4 compliant codec. Look it up on sourceforge. Compressing a frame sequence of 128x128 will be a joke for the codec.... Problem might be on CPU usage for playback....
IIRC, there are patent issues regarding MPEG 4; that is, the FreeOrion-project could be sued for using it.
Fortunately, when FreeOrion 1.0 is ready, OGG Theora will probably be finished, which is not encumbered by patents (the V3 codec that Theora uses is patented technology, but the patent-holder has granted free use for everything Theora-related)