Shared icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Shared icons

#1 Post by wobbly »

Probably a bunch of other buildings/specials too, this was just one I noticed. They both currently use the eye in the pyramid.
Last edited by wobbly on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ancient Ruins/Scrying Sphere share an icon

#2 Post by wobbly »

Perhaps its possible to change the shade on 1 of them, until someone draws a new image?

Atreides
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Atreides »

I noticed that too. As a new player I found it confusing until I carefully looked and saw you can distinguish them (without clicking) by the fact the sphere has a arrow symbol and is on different background.

I realize graphics are likely in short supply (oh I know this problem intimately from working on old wesnoth eras with placeholder graphics : ( ) but I think this is one that most needs change as it is a hassle when looking at unowned planets in a high specials galaxy for example.

I'm no artist but perforce (from wesnoth) I've acquired a rudimentary editing of graphics ability. I'll have a shot at recolouring that pyramid and upload it, here I guess.

OK, done, two one offerings: One a colourized version of the original and the other is a graphic of a crystal sort of sphere.
Attachments
Released under the CC BY SA
Released under the CC BY SA
ancient_ruins_excavated.png (47.18 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
Last edited by Atreides on Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

I'll take a look at how the recoloured version looks in-game, on a black background

Edit: Not sure how copyright works on an edited version of a current asset. Maybe one of the developers can chime in here.

Atreides
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Atreides »

How silly of me not to test them first.... : ) Well it was a quickie.

I tested them both (and found out I need to edit building as well as the other config file) and they look OK. The RC one is not too dark at all. Next to the gas generator it is literally bright. The other one (which I didn't think looked that good) actually works well in game. Very bright though, may need to be toned down as it almost looks like a white star.

Surprised to find that the 2 smaller icon sizes seem to be unused. Leftovers from earlier days?

As for copying stuff I assumed that all FO graphics were GPL as usual. I did not find any special art license in the files. The crystal sphere one BTW is from Wesnoth (and is GPL) and recoloured/sized, etc. just in case that's a potential problem. (Auuugh, no! Free Orion is stealing our art! Rally my Orcs and Trolls and fight to retake every last one of our pixels! ; )

P.S. Did anyone notice I chose purple to cleave to the detection theme of FO? Hmmm maybe the sphere graphic could benefit from a purpling... Or maybe I could paste the eye into the sphere... oooh. Just don't make the eye red else Tolkien estate gets upset, hehe. (Eh whaddya looking at Sauron?)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Atreides wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:30 pmAs for copying stuff I assumed that all FO graphics were GPL as usual. I did not find any special art license in the files. The crystal sphere one BTW is from Wesnoth (and is GPL) and recoloured/sized, etc. just in case that's a potential problem.
Art is and must be CC-BY-SA 3.0: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... lt/COPYING

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Atreides wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:30 pm P.S. Did anyone notice I chose purple to cleave to the detection theme of FO? Hmmm maybe the sphere graphic could benefit from a purpling... Or maybe I could paste the eye into the sphere... oooh.
Yeah, and it's nice.
An eye for the scrying sphere would be great.
For the ancirnt ruins I would not put an eye.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:03 am Edit: Not sure how copyright works on an edited version of a current asset. Maybe one of the developers can chime in here.
Quite simple.
The editor is allowed or not to publish the edition depending on the original licence (which means that for GPL or CC-BY-SA everybody is allowed).
The editor then chooses how to licence the edited version. But for GPL or -SA licence, s/he has to use the same licence than the original, else it is a violation of the original licence terms.

So what is needed is just for Atreides to specify that he puts his edited art under the CC-BY-SA licence.
If one is to use art coming from outside FreeOrion, it is important to check that this art is also under a CC-BY-SA-compatible licence.

edit : typo
Last edited by LienRag on Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atreides
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Atreides »

Carefully tries to tiptoe back out of the minefield he's stepped into...

I've had a look at what this CC is (and GPL which I've known since the 90's but apparently never fully read/understood) and have modified my original post. I'd thought Wesnoth was strict about such stuff but apparently they're lax compared to FO. Doesn't help that Wesnoth predates CC. It's almost all GPL.

I even found a fascinating old post on the Wes forums about someone wanting to use FO "space art" in Wes but being told it would not work due to the CC. Interestingly one of the people in the thread was an Eleazar who said he made some of FO's art! The Wes forums have a bunch of FO references, all glowingly positive, btw.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

well I like it. Its quite distinct.
small.png
small.png (14.64 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
big.png
big.png (40.02 KiB) Viewed 7733 times

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Shared icons

#11 Post by wobbly »

Expanding this out to a general thread. Enclave of the void and Species Interdesign academy also share an icon

BlueAward
Small Juggernaut

#12 Post by BlueAward »

Code: Select all

default\scripting\buildings\SPATIAL_DISTORT_GEN.focs.txt 	icon = ""
default\scripting\buildings\REMOTE_TERRAFORM.disabled 	icon = ""
default\scripting\buildings\PLANET_CLOAK.focs.txt 	icon = ""
default\scripting\buildings\EXPERIMENTOR_OUTPOST.focs.txt 	icon = ""
default\scripting\buildings\CLONING_CENTER.disabled 	icon = ""
default\scripting\buildings\BLACK_HOLE_COLLAPSER.focs.txt 	icon = ""

default\scripting\buildings\CULTURE_LIBRARY.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/archive.png"
default\scripting\buildings\CULTURE_ARCHIVES.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/archive.png"

default\scripting\buildings\HYPER_DAM.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/blackhole.png"
default\scripting\buildings\BLACK_HOLE_POW_GEN.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/blackhole.png"
default\scripting\buildings\ART_BLACK_HOLE.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/blackhole.png"

default\scripting\buildings\CONC_CAMP_REMNANT.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/concentration-camp.png"
default\scripting\buildings\CONC_CAMP.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/concentration-camp.png"

default\scripting\buildings\OBSERVATORY.disabled 	icon = "icons/building/lighthouse.png"
default\scripting\buildings\LIGHTHOUSE.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/lighthouse.png"

default\scripting\buildings\NEUTRONIUM_SYNTH.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/neutronium-forge.png"
default\scripting\buildings\NEUTRONIUM_FORGE.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/neutronium-forge.png"
default\scripting\buildings\NEUTRONIUM_EXTRACTOR.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/neutronium-forge.png"

default\scripting\buildings\MILITARY_COMMAND.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/palace.png"
default\scripting\buildings\IMPERIAL_PALACE.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/palace.png"

default\scripting\buildings\INTERSPECIES_ACADEMY.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/science-institute.png"
default\scripting\buildings\ENCLAVE_VOID.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/building/science-institute.png"

default\scripting\buildings\colonies\SP_EXOBOT.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/species/robotic-01.png"
default\scripting\buildings\ART_FACTORY_PLANET.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/species/robotic-01.png"

default\scripting\buildings\STARLANE_NEXUS.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/tech/n-dimensional_structures.png"
default\scripting\buildings\STARLANE_BORE.focs.txt 	icon = "icons/tech/n-dimensional_structures.png"

Atreides
Space Kraken

#13 Post by Atreides »

I had this nagging suspicion that the palace and mil cmd were the same... No easy fix there I suspect since they will be together most of the time one of them really needs a different shape. Hmmm, just had an idea though. The "fortress" special icon brightened up might be a good replacement for the mil cmd.

Gave it a olive drab paint scheme to fit the military theme. Needed to be scaled down too (well maybe, looking through the various building icons I saw that they ranged from 64 to 256! But I made it match the palace icon at 64 (fortress is 128)).

Released under the CC BY-SA
Released under the CC BY-SA
military_command.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 7685 times