FreeOrion Wiki now available

Official announcements and forum policies.
Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

FreeOrion Wiki now available

#1 Post by Tyreth »

I have set up a wiki to enable us to easily write and maintain documentation for FreeOrion.

Pages can be added and edited by any members of the public. It includes revision control to revert to previous versions if vandals change anything. It also include IP banning. If it gets out of control, we can limit modifications to members. Certain pages can also be blocked.

The link for "knowledge base" has been changed to "FreeOrionWiki" on the main page, which points to:
http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php

You can find resources on how to modify the wiki and add pages here:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWik ... g_overview

Feel free to modify and add articles. Once the main page is designed neatly and ready I'll lock it so only admin can modify it. Most other pages will be open to the public. I'll be watching and making sure the content is organised weakly. Where possible use precedences set by wikipedia.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

Here is a list of things that would be useful to write. Remember that anyone can modify your work, so mistakes will be fixed, more can be added and removed later, etc.

* FAQ
* Specifications for 0.1 and 0.2, converted from the documents into the wiki code, using tables, etc, where appropriate.
* Roadmap
* Forums guide
* Introduction to the project and community
* Details on the system
* How to contribute, areas to help, etc
* Rules! (eg, no realism arguments, respect other people, no politics of recent times, no religious arguments
* Manual/instructions for installing and playing 0.1 - including the core issues. Not really important, but will certainly be useful for versions past 0.1

If you have any other ideas or want to suggest something you are considering writing, place it in this thread.

Marijn
Space Squid

#3 Post by Marijn »

Will this also be for source documentation? I guess "details on the system" could include that. I do not mean per-function documentation (that's what doxygen is for), but a description of and comments on the general structure of the program.

edit: I like it! I added some rather nonessential pages, but only because I have been out of the running for a while and do now know all the important stuff for sure. I'll be contributing more once I get the game to compile on my FreeBSD system so that I can actually check things.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

For source documentation we'd be much better off running doxygen and uploading the documentation it creates on a separate page. Much more efficient, quicker and more accurate :wink:

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Is it appropriate to post summaries of passed design features, or entire Aquatine posts at the ends of public reviews into the wiki? I'm talking about things decided for inclusion (however vaguely) in ver. 1.0, not the next ver. 0.X.

A centralized place to find all passed features and decided details without searching through heaps of posts and threads would be good.

If this is a good idea, could a wiki admin make some links from the front page? I can't make a new page without a link, and can't find a good place to put such a link that's not locked. (I could put links from waaaay down on the Game Design page, but something obviously visible without hunting / scrolling would be good)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

This sounds like a good idea. I'll see about making sure that final posts/summaries of the public reviews end up in the Wiki. The result should be a sort of 'design document broken down by subject' since those final posts are usually the predecessor to the design doc entries on the subject.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Is the current design document available in the wiki right now? I've seen posts that claim it is, but I can't find it by searching or hunting for links... and nobody seem to be linking to it spontaneously or able to provide a link if I ask for one...

If not, could you put it up, and add a clear link on the main page, asap? (Edit: main page of the wiki )

Thanks.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#8 Post by vishnou00 »

Watch these pages to track changes:
http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php ... entchanges
and
http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php ... l:Newpages

Design related, right now I think there is only V.2 Requirements and Effects. More static (done) design pages: Vision Statement, V.1 Requirements and Roadmap. There is nothing extensively detailing the passed features.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#9 Post by drek »

Effects is unofficial. v.2 is "static", ie done.