Game crash after changing directories

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

drkosy
Space Dragon

Game crash after changing directories

#1 Post by drkosy »

To test my kosymod, I went to the options -> directories and changed Resource Files to my kosymod directory. After I klicked "Done" the game crashes immediately. The logs doesn't show any hint what went wrong. The last entry in freeorion log is just "Lost Focus".

Tested with recent build from today (2024-04-14).

Is there any way to change the resource files directory by commandline?
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Game crash after changing directories

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

freeorion --resource.path

I just switched the resource path in the GUI without problem.

Maybe something's missing in the modded directory that it doesn't do safety checks for?

drkosy
Space Dragon

Re: Game crash after changing directories

#3 Post by drkosy »

For testing purposes I just copied the "default" folder in the github clone, put it into the directory of the game (renamed to kosymod) and switched path through the GUI. The game crashed. Don't think something is missing because it contains the same files as the link to the default folder.

I tried the commandline (./freeorion --resource.path kosymod/) the game crashed but I got

Code: Select all

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem::filesystem_error'
  what():  boost::filesystem::directory_iterator::construct: No such file or directory [system:2]: "kosymod/kosymod/scripting/buildings"
The problem seems to be that he should take just "kosymod/scripting" instead of "kosymod/kosymod/scripting"

Now I just created a directory "kosymod/kosymod" and put all my files there. The game started but I got:

Code: Select all

[2024-04-14 23:01:05.916574] [0x00007f08e4ea7c00] [info]    Resources directory from config.xml missing or does not contain expected files. Resetting to default.
[2024-04-14 23:01:05.916591] [0x00007f08e4ea7c00] [info]    Refreshed ResDir
No content changed in the game. But I wonder, because config.xml is placed at ~/.config/freeorion and nor the path or the file itself should change.

Maybe my testing could provide you some information to find what's wrong.

BTW: I use fedora linux 39 with KDE Plasma and a new build FO, version 2024-04-14 master branch
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod