Development/weekly flatpaks?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Development/weekly flatpaks?

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

Any ideas about delivering weekly (or even nightly) flatpaks?

Building is not much of a problem, but publishing/delivery is.

On first sight flathub seems unusable

Code: Select all

Flathub only hosts stable application releases, and not development snapshots. Manifests should therefore refer to tarballs or git tags and not the tip of a branch.
maybe for weeklies it could work? i think other projects host their own flatpak repo

one current alternative is that the each user themselves build using flatpak-builder. This is really easy/does not have dependency issues, but still requires a lot of time/processing power.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Development/weekly flatpaks?

#2 Post by o01eg »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:08 am one current alternative is that the each user themselves build using flatpak-builder. This is really easy/does not have dependency issues, but still requires a lot of time/processing power.
It looks same as build it from sources as is.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-12.e0729e0.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Atreides
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Atreides »

I actually have some possibly useful info. In Wesnoth the development version (currently 1.17) is not hosted on flathub but on a separate server called wesnoth-origin. I believe the wessies set that up themselves. I could ask them how if you like.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I guess the problem is more about the money than about the knowhow.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

o01eg wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:56 am It looks same as build it from sources as is.
you can build it on a system with the wrong dependencies; yes, I also think it is not much better than building from source.
The only difference is that you do not need to take care of getting the dependencies right.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

I asked on the flatpak forum if it would be sensible to publish the slow game with a "tag" or such like "org.freeorion.FreeOrion/slow-game-025".

And the current answer is that there are only the flathub and flathub-beta repositories and the -beta is probably not the right one, so we could add the slow-game version with its own appid (after adjusting metadata for that appid).

But adding a new appid per slow game seems a weird to me; so I guess I will ask for something like "org.freeorion.FreeOrion/ongoing-slow-game" (or "/slow-forum-game"; naming suggestions welcome). Or should I go for the numbered version?

Atreides
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Atreides »

I was told this is where the info on how to setup is.

https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2017/02/1 ... epository/

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

bump
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:33 pm I guess I will ask for something like "org.freeorion.FreeOrion/ongoing-slow-game" (or "/slow-forum-game"; naming suggestions welcome). Or should I go for the numbered version?

o01eg
Programmer

#9 Post by o01eg »

If it still ineteresting Minetest is adding Flatpak to CI https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/14673
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-06-12.e0729e0.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm