Old Releases on Sourceforge

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Old Releases on Sourceforge

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I received an email that looks legit from SourceForge:
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

We are contacting you because you are listed as an Admin for https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion/

This project is using a large amount of storage.

We need your help removing a lot of your old releases.
Please remove as much as you can of your old releases and unused files within 14 days.

You can use this tool to help you identify the files that aren't getting many downloads and take up a lot of space:
https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/adm ... arge_files

We are letting you know so you can choose which files to remove.
Please be aware that if we don't see any difference after 14 days, we will have to remove all the files & folders with 0 or little monthly downloads ourselves.

Thank you for your cooperation

Sincerely,

SourceForge Support
I suppose it would be reasonable to at least remove old release candidate builds...

o01eg
Programmer

Re: Old Releases on Sourceforge

#2 Post by o01eg »

Are weekly test builds stored indefinitely too?
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-05-24.6c553c9.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Geoff the Medio

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

o01eg wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:05 pmAre weekly test builds stored indefinitely too?
Seemingly: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... rion/Test/

o01eg
Programmer

#4 Post by o01eg »

Looks like there 1395 files in Test and the oldest are from 2013 year.
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-05-24.6c553c9.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Yes, I've received that notification from SF too, seems legit.

Already intended to bring that up, but got sick and have been out of commission for a couple of days.

I don't think we need to delete any of the actual releases or even release candidates, as until now we've been keeping all the old weekly test builds (back to October 2013, as far as I can see). Deleting all the test builds from a couple of years should be more than sufficient.

The question is, how far back do we want to keep weekly test builds? 2, 3, 5 years? The rest can be purged I think...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Weekly test builds have been useful sometimes (seldom) for non-compiling users to help pinpoint the week in which a bug was introduced, but appart from that I don't know of any interesting/necessary use for them after a few months they are out. Therefore, I wouldn't keep more than a year of weekly test builds (which takes about 1.5-2.0 GB in Sourceforge, with Windows and maxOS builds).

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

One year of archived test builds seems like more than enough.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, I've deleted all weekly test builds older then 2022. That freed up more then 100GB of storage space.

o01eg
Programmer

#9 Post by o01eg »

SF just sent me this email again.

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could delete all the 2022 test builds as well?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Yep, got that notification too. Deleting the 2022 test builds sounds reasonable, will do that right now.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

Ok, 2022 test builds deleted. That should hopefully take care of the issue.

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:07 am Ok, 2022 test builds deleted. That should hopefully take care of the issue.
Apparently not. I got another, probably autogenerated, message that doesn't acknowledge any previous response. I will reply asking for clarification about what they actually need done.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:41 pmApparently not. I got another, probably autogenerated, message that doesn't acknowledge any previous response. I will reply asking for clarification about what they actually need done.
Yep, got that new notification too.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat confused, considering how much more old (test) releases we had kept a couple of years ago, and how much of them we deleted when we got this kind of file removal request the first time. Why removing an entire year worth of test builds suddenly isn't sufficient anymore, and they are still asking for the removal of a substantial amount (as if we didn't just do that), is, well, quite confusing.

If the allowed quota for the space available to project has changed, they should say so. I can't recall having seen any such notification. They could at the very least include concrete numbers in their notification, stating the amount of space available to a project, how much over quota we are, instead of these vague statements ("as much as you can", "substantial amount" etc.). Also, no acknowledgment of the action already taken. This is a bit annoying.

When you reply to ask for clarification, maybe you can ask for this information too - how much total space is available to our project, how much of that we are currently using/how much over quota we are.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#15 Post by Oberlus »

I think they have financial problems and are not running numbers or trying to apply a systematic policy, just contact projects and ask for maximum frugality.

I suggest removing all test builds older than 6 months every 6 months (so maximum 1 year). Right now they are storing 1.5 years of tests builds.

Edit: BTW, test builds are seldom used after a month from their publication.