Scrapping Ships

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Scrapping Ships

#1 Post by wobbly »

There's 2 issues here:
  • x kills opens the 2nd military policy slot, and sometimes players scrap a doomed scout to deny the kill
  • Scrapping obsolete ships for production
For the 1st issue I'd suggest making scrapping require a dry dock or supply, anything else is ejecting crew members into the vacuum
The 2nd I don't have a strong opinion, in real life destroying old military equipment is a net cost, not a net gain, but I could also live with a 10% stockpile gain, if it works for game play.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Scrapping Ships

#2 Post by LienRag »

wobbly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 am sometimes players scrap a doomed scout to deny the kill
(...)
I'd suggest making scrapping require a dry dock or supply, anything else is ejecting crew members into the vacuum.

Good idea.
At least supply, indeed.

wobbly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 am [*]Scrapping obsolete ships for production
I don't have a strong opinion, in real life destroying old military equipment is a net cost, not a net gain, but I could also live with a 10% stockpile gain, if it works for game play.

For this, the main problem is that scrapping is already a gain (through the diminution of upkeep), but a gain that is nearly impossible to figure exactly without an external cost.
Adding a part of the production cost to the stockpile (10% seems low, maybe 30-50%) shows the result immediately and is psychologically easier to understand and accept.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

I support both of these suggestions. If you can move your old ships to the drydock and scrap them, let's get some PP into de stockpile. But 10% of base PP cost, not upped cost.
wobbly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 am The 2nd I don't have a strong opinion, in real life destroying old military equipment is a net cost, not a net gain, but I could also live with a 10% stockpile gain, if it works for game play.
I guess my rollerblades doesn't count as military equipment, but using the old ones for spare parts makes a lot of sense.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Grummel7 »

wobbly wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 am For the 1st issue I'd suggest making scrapping require a dry dock or supply, anything else is ejecting crew members into the vacuum
The 2nd I don't have a strong opinion, in real life destroying old military equipment is a net cost, not a net gain, but I could also live with a 10% stockpile gain, if it works for game play.
Supply as requirement for scrapping, drydock for gaining stockpile sounds good in general. Scrapping old ships in space may be a lot easier due to the fact that you can discard the unwanted parts into open space.

Organic hulls should probably require an incubator. Does scrapping a living hull count as killing it? Are there any hull rights activists? :mrgreen: