splash v0.2

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

splash v0.2

#1 Post by pd »

ok, this is my proposal. c & c welcome, as usuall.

ah, and please give this font a chance and don't simply say it sucks, or something. i've chosen it, because it's much more powerfull than those science fiction fonts and adds an epic feeling in my mind.
Last edited by pd on Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

Looks great as usual :-)

I think we need stars. Looks a little bit lonely.

Would a moon fit in?

Izverg
Space Krill

#3 Post by Izverg »

Great. But old font was more attractive.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by tzlaine »

That looks fantastic! I agree that the stars should be a bit brighter, and I prefer the old freeorion logo, but I disagree that you should put a moon in there.

dstjames
Space Floater

Looks great

#5 Post by dstjames »

I LOVE it!!! I do think there should be less stars and they should be brighter. Also I dont think the sun (I believe thats what the bright star is supposed to be) looks quite right.

I like the font though and do not feel it needs a moon or anything.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by Obiwan »

Yes, very attractive.
For me the font is good. I agree - epic.
Stars are rather uniform in their density. maybe this is why they come over as not bright.
Superb planet, Simplicity of image very powerful. Very FO

Acoc
Space Krill

#7 Post by Acoc »

Looks very nice. I love the planet, escpecially since everyone is used to looking a serene Earth, this throws in a little chaos. I think maybe some brightness in the clouds as in lightning might give it even more of a wow factor. I don't know if you can really see much of lightning from space, but it would look neat.

So if this is the main page of the game would the options (New Game, Load Game) be centered or in space to the right.

John

drek
Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by drek »

The planet and font look great, a vast improvement over the old title screen.

I don't know if it's image compression or what, but the stars look a little pixelated.

I was working on my own version of v.2 logo, but I think what you have looks quite a bit better. Just for kicks, this is what I had:

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by Tyreth »

pd, it looks amazing. Not sure which font I prefer, but this is definitely a great looking backdrop.
Last edited by Tyreth on Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Underling
Space Squid

#10 Post by Underling »

The planet looks superb, and I am particularly fond of the color choices for the world. The font has a great baroque "space opera" type feel that shoud be very fitting for FO.

However, I do think that the splash could look even better if the number of stars were lowered and several color spectrums were introduced (shades of red, green, blue, etc...). The current star field is a little too uniform to the eye.

Overall this is a great contribution. Nice job!

Yoghurt
Programmer

#11 Post by Yoghurt »

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I was in Limbo for some time:
Do these "Crop-Circles" play a role in the Single-Player campaign? I ask because they are also used in the planetary animations

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#12 Post by leiavoia »

The backdrop is very very good. Nice job.

The font, while it does feel "epic", is a bit on the "fantasy" side of the spectrum. If that's the feel we're going for, good. Otherwise, i would go with something a little more sleek. just MHO

The Silent One
Graphics

#13 Post by The Silent One »

Looking great, and I like the font very much, partially because it reminds me of the MoO I title sequence.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by pd »

noelte wrote:I think we need stars. Looks a little bit lonely.

Would a moon fit in?
i'll try to add some variety to the stars but i would say a moon would be an overload for the image.
Izverg wrote:Great. But old font was more attractive.
uhm, what did i say?
I wrote:ah, and please give this font a chance and don't simply say it sucks, or something.
right ;)
dstjames wrote:Also I dont think the sun (I believe thats what the bright star is supposed to be) looks quite right.
a sun in this postition, would illuminate the planet in another way. it's supossed to be a near star-cluster or maybe even a galaxy.
Obiwan wrote:[...] Very FO
hehe, thanks ;)
Acoc wrote:I think maybe some brightness in the clouds as in lightning might give it even more of a wow factor. I don't know if you can really see much of lightning from space, but it would look neat.

So if this is the main page of the game would the options (New Game, Load Game) be centered or in space to the right.
I'll give this lighning idea a try. actually i think you can see lightning from space.

the main menu can be anywhere you want it. it can be placed via config.xml(thanks noelte ;) for this image i guess, it would be best placed somewhere at the bottom right.
drek wrote:I don't know if it's image compression or what, but the stars look a little pixelated.
yes, i've noticed this too, but i hoped you guys would overlook it :)
Underling wrote:I do think that the splash could look even better if the number of stars were lowered and several color spectrums were introduced (shades of red, green, blue, etc...). The current star field is a little too uniform to the eye.
okay.
Yoghurt wrote:Do these "Crop-Circles" play a role in the Single-Player campaign? I ask because they are also used in the planetary animations
these 'crop-cricles' are supposed to be citys or maybe giant buildings. i've made quite similar ones for the planets in sidepanel too, but i don't think they play a role in the single-player campaign.
Last edited by pd on Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#15 Post by vishnou00 »

Love the font. Just I bit more brownish and I wouldn't be able to contain the urge to control the Spice. (FH's Dune's a great space opera)